new mighty boy

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
arklan

was thinking of a post brayden made (cant find it now) where the amount of mighty boys is getting less and the amount of traffic on this forum is getting less because of that.
with the wealth of knowledge and experience on here, surely we could make a new "mighty boy" ?
make up some chassis plans like they have for the locost crowd, and then get a few people who r making fiberglass panels to make up some bodies to suit. wouldnt have to be original mighty boy, it could be based on the mighty boy with the alto works updates such as braydens boy.
the chassis can be made to take all the usual mighty boy engines such as the g10b, f8c, f6a etc.. it could even be more light weight than the original though i dont see how :D
if it could be made to take stock panels from a mighty boy that would be great, take a body buck from someones boy and make a few of them up to suit the new chassis.
import engines from china (from memory an f8b with efi is about $1400 including shipping) and youd have entirely brand new car.

i cant be the first one to think of this right? it would have to be a community project
Zuffen

Great idea, but there is always a "but"!

The vehicle would be an ICV and the engineering cost on an ICV is prohibitive.

I have an ICV I built 5 years ago and the Engineering cost $9,000.00.

The RMS here inspected it (spent 13 manhours on it) before signing off on it and they told me less than half the cars they see ever make it on the road.

You won't get a Locost registered in Australia.  It would be cheaper to buy a PRB or similar kit that has done all the Engineering.

To meet the Regs and pass beaming and torsional testing is nigh on impossible.

I doubt the Chinese F8C engines would pass an Australian Emissions test.  If you sourced engines from written off late model Suzukis you would be better off.

Great idea non the less.
Brayden

What makes you think that the Chinese F8C wouldn't pass emissions? It would benchmark against the Daewoo F8C, so there's baseline specs available.
I love the idea of a new MightyBoy, but I agree it would be prohibitively expensive to achieve. I've got another idea, but I won't share till I have a chance to think a bit more. ;)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Brayden

Okay, so ever since Suzuki released the latest model Ignis (which has styling cues from the the CS100 Cervo/Whizkid) I've been thinking about how it might convert to a ute - you know, if I happened to spot a wreck at Pickles.

Anyway, I've had a bit of a play and come up with this:
tmb-2017-mightyboy.jpg
Obviously the 2015 Alto Works RS would be the best starting point from a purist's standpoint (it is a Kei car, unlike the Ignis) but the Alto isn't available in Australia, so this is the next best thing.
arklan

if we were to collectively develop a car, youd have the first 1 engineered and have the plans. after that they would just get sold following the same plans so the engineering would already be done. so it would be similar to getting a factory5 kit.

for it to make sense, it would need to appeal to anyone considering a kit, not just mighty boy enthusiasts.
at the moment i dont think there is any kind of kei kit car, and as far as i know there is nothing out there that could compete as far as being light weight goes.

we would need to develop a platform that has multi use, so it could appeal to the most amount of people.
id recommend having 2 bodys, the ute and a hatch (think cappa not the actual hatch, the hatch is ugly af)
being a chassis that we develop ourselves, we can stiffen it right up and keep the weight low.
apart from chassis and body, use as much 'off the shelf' parts as possible to keep costs down (including engine to get around emissions if its a problem).

even though its in australia, i think this could be an extremely cheap kit car aswell. at its cheapest youd buy the fiberglass body and panels, and then build the chassis yourself with the plans, and put the brakes and engine etc from a donor vehicle; say a sierra or matiz (which r dirt cheap)

im not an engineer but i could design an electric setup to go in this thing, front and back motors for awd and shred some tyres :twisted:

the engineering costs to get the chassis plans could be crowdfunded.
the body could be drawn up in autocad and see if theres anyone among the myriad of fiberglass experts on here that would be interested in making a few bodys.

following braydens design, having an updated mightyboy rather than trying to be a purist would have the most appeal in my opinion.
as far as i know there is absolutely no kit out there for a ute, any kind of ute, let alone a kei.

thoughts?

EDIT:
@brayden i think the ignis is on to a winner :D
https://indianautosblog.com/2017/07/mar ... kup-274980
Attachments
C2G1Pa3UoAALKBP.jpg
4dee9b67-c353-4e22-94af-ab26d7976e88_169.jpg
Zuffen

The Ignis Ute does look the goods.

My Late Father used to build camper vans with fibreglass roofs.  He used JWF Fibreglass to make them.  Sam Johnson is well known for his Milano GT and GT2 and even 30 years ago these bodies were stupidly expensive to make.

IF you could get someone to build them at a marketable price ti could work.

Look at the cost of replica glass MightyBoy guards.  Extrapolate that and you have an expensive body.

Consider how many hours it would take to make the first body to pull a mould off?  Material plus labour would be scary.

I'm not saying it can't be done but it's a lot more expensive than you expect.

I have a Range Rover DAKAR which is a fibreglass bodied Range Rover, known here as Bushrangers.  The kit which is a body shell without any doors, roof or windows but with a welded rollcage assembly costs over $30,000. Mine is simialar to these.  http://www.dakar4x4.me.uk/build.html

I think it would be fun to be involved in building one as there are lots of challenges to get around to make it work. 
86BOY

That concept idea for a new MB design looks great Brayden! Everything all the way down to the wheels looks mad, you have skills mate haha well done. :thumbup2:
Boosted F8B Pocket Rocket.
TurboKat

I like how you included the tie rails on the new Mighty Bignis. :thumbup2:
arklan

assuming the ignis donor is free
what will be the cost of converting to mighty boy shape and being regoed?
Zuffen

If you did all the work yourself and had it professionally painted and then Engineered on standard wheels I estimate you would be looking at $10,000-12,000.

To build a new MightyBoy in glass and Rego the first vehicle would cost $125,000 (estimate) if you were paying to have it done.
Brayden

With no disrespect intended, I'd be interested to hear JB's thoughts. He knows a thing or two about building kit cars (and building a composite MightyBoy from scratch). ;)
arklan

Brayden wrote:With no disrespect intended, I'd be interested to hear JB's thoughts. He knows a thing or two about building kit cars (and building a composite MightyBoy from scratch). ;)
OK NOW WE'RE TALKING
if the body can be made, and make a few of them, then the rest is comparatively easy :D
there is an engineering firm near my work that does chassis design, i can go and get a quote from them and see what they think
JB

fark!
I just sat down an wrote a huge post about this, and didn't save it, and my session timed out or something.
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/14529-2/tamon-avatar.jpg[/img]
arklan

JB wrote:fark!
I just sat down an wrote a huge post about this, and didn't save it, and my session timed out or something.
what were u gonna say?!?! :o
arklan

according to wikipedia, a kei car is within 1.48m wide, 3m long and 2m tall. mighty boys are 3.2m long but they still fit ;)
pretty much every small car (yaris swift mirage etc) are all about the 1.68m width mark so i was originally thinking that a new mboy could be that width, so that it could then use any of these small cars as a donor for suspension and steering parts.
however, it seems that a lot of work to make a new mboy could be avoided simply by making a mould from an ignis, putting a tray in it and going from there. but then theres a copyright issue, and also no one is gonna buy a kit to make an ignis when they are already comparatively cheap. so it would need to have some body mods made so that it looked unique, while still being able to make use of ignis body parts to make parts easier.
a model of the ignis could possible be made in autocad, and then modified there, and then printed to make a body to make a mould off of.
to save complexity, it could have a sort of ladder chassis, with the fiberglass body put on top. this would allow for just about any kind of modification that someone could think of with their build, such as putting a transverse engine in the back or making a small v8 fit or motorbike engine etc etc. it would also be able to be registered as a hotrod which also helps to get around some of the red tape.
should made to take autotechnicas/recaros but also be able to take seats from an ignis or yaris/swift/mirage etc.
rear suspension could use the leafs from a sierra since theyr really common, or use the independant bits from a yaris. or have a rear diff with sway arms or whatever someone wanted.
the hard lid should slope down kind of like a maloo, for aerodynamics.
a 20lt fuel cell could be used for a fuel tank, to save cost on finding a fuel tank and theyr easy to hook up.
by using the ignis as a base, it makes it easy to get a windscreen and other bits. but since its a similar width to a yaris/swift it should be able to use a lot of stuff such as the dash and other interior bits aswell