Mighty boy with motorbike engine.

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Husky

Gday All,
This is my first post so I will do a quick intro. My name is Max and I live in Sydney.
My passion is motorbikes and I have a real softsport for the MB.
I have a real desire to combine both. I have a dream of combining a MB with an engine from a Gsx-r 1000. I have a lot of research to do. My first question is if this is even worth considering? I know there will be engineering challenges. I guess even if it is done properly could it be enginered? Please give me your thoughs and opinions.
Billie

Gearbox and drive shafts, theres a company that makes gearboxes to suit cars, for some models of motorbikes, usually 1300 gsx (hayabusa) I want to do it also, as i love the sound of bikes. Clutch would be hard, they were made to be used with your hand, so would be trickey to get use to.
Brayden

You couldn't do the job easily or cost effectively and have a registerable ute at the end. Sorry to be blunt but I wouldn't tackle the job with a budget of less than $7000-10k.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Billie

I have to admit, i was expecting around the 30,000 mark to get a motobike engine in, i'd be willing to spend 20,000 if i had it on getting a 998 ducati in there, they sound so lumpy.
Husky

Thanks for the reply guys, I dont expect it to be cheap. Im fairly mechanically inclined. Im looking at it as a keeper and a long term project. The clutch can be operated hydrolically. The bonus about the bike motor is that the gearbox is internal as well as clutch. I would buy a wrecked bike with fuel system, electrics and all parts that need to get it running. I think the hardest thing would be engine mounts and drive from output shaft of motor to drive shafts. The thing is do you reckon it could be registed? that is the big question!
Cheers
Billie

Personally, i'd love to see it done, give me insparation. I seen mini's with them in the back, I'd want awd if i had over 140hp, couldnt keep it straight otherwise, another question would be could the chassis take it, mighty boys have a monocock (lol) chassis.
Brayden

You would need to talk to an engineer about the legalities before you start the job, only they will be able to give you a definite answer on whether it will be registerable at the end.
Husky

It would be priceless to see peoples faces as you leave them in the dust with 13,000rpm of screaming Gsxr motor. :D I have worked on bikes for many years, Im resonably confident with them. Its just a Hybrid bike/MB will challenge me. I have the time(garage is my second home) My budget is around $10,000. It will give me an excuse to go to the garage instead of watching telly. My Misses thinks Im crazy! 8)
Billie

Why dont you go b16a engine. They fit in mini'. I don't see why they wouldnt get in a mighty boy.
Husky

Thanks Brayden,
By the way I love your MB. you should be very happy with such a lovley car. Ive seen your youtube vids. Do you recommend any engineers in Sydney. (North shore, Northern beaches area)?
Thanks
Husky

Gday nova_66
I want to do something different and as my passion is bikes it makes logical sense not to mention the power output would far exceed the car engines. Not to mention it would be lighter. I love the idea of the practicality of a car for all weather and the sound and speed of a bike. Plus I just think the MB is a great looking little beast! :)
Billie

More power? b16a does about 170hp, vtec revs to 8000rpm, plus would be easy to drive, as you wouldnt have to rev hard on take off. Like you said, your interests are motobikes, if you do it, im definatly going to come see it.
Husky

I didnt realize it made that kinda of power, Thats would be a rocket. I was comparing to most of the outputs I saw in the section with most common engine transplants. Lets face it it would be different and maybe open up a avenue for people who would like to do this kind of conversion? :wink:
Brayden

B16A in a Mini? I've never seen it and there's no way it would fit in an MB!

If you want a massive RPM limit then the redline on a twin cam F6A starts at 9k. ;) Would be much easier than a bike motor conversion.

Heck if you can get the bike motor installed and registered I would be an equal mix of astonished and jealous! 8)
Sixo

This is what I would love to do to my MB! gsxr 1000 for SURE!! went through it with the fellas who actually know what they're doing, and they said pretty much what everyone else here has said.

If you go through with it, show that beast off here!!
http://www.myspace.com/originofjanken