lower rear engine mount

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
bswift16

Hi guys

my lower rear engine mount has split :cry:
how hard is it to replace without takeing out the motor.
or should I be asking can it be done
also doing a quick search through the forum it seems there is a bit of a debate on which mounts to replace it with
any tips or pointers much appreciated
I realy dont wanna take the motor out if I dont have to

Cheers Brian
willing to prove red ones go faster
gadj

Not certain this will work for you Brian but get the vehicle where you can easily get under it & measure the distance between the mounting brackets. You may need to lever or jack the engine to where it should sit first. Once armed with the measurement & basic shape of the mount (take it out for a sample if you have another car) you can go to http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/ or other online catalogue - just google engine mounts. Mackay have a pdf download that you can look through to find the most suitable part (start with MightyBoy & Hatch listings)
To remove the mount with the engine in place, remove 2 bolts on the sub-frame either side of the mount then either the nut securing the mount on the back of the engine/transaxle or the bracket it is fixed to (memory fails me - long time since I did it) I do remember you will need to get under the car at some stage.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
bswift16

cheers, Im gonna see if i can find a genuine one ( yes you may larff), if thats no good Ill see if someone in good ol Adelaide can do the job, and when that fails its an e-mail to Makay
willing to prove red ones go faster
gadj

As an ex-spare parts man, I can say any aftermarket spares outlet should be able to help you find what you need. They will most likely have Makay & Kelpro among their supplied brands but also be able to acquire other brands also - there are some lesser known brands that have come to the Aussie market since I left the industry 5 years back. Once you are able to present a sample part they will be more able to help. Any parts outlet that does not want to try is not worth dealing with.
As for genuine, there are a few bits still available, that were used on more than one model but you will be introducing your bank manager to the genuine parts outlet staff, so to speak.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ToranaGuy

I tried to swap my rear lower mount for a new genuine suzuki spares item recently, and without either lifting the engine out or unbolting the rear metal mount that mounts both top & bottom mounts to the back of the engine/gearbox assembly, I failed.....

Going to rip the engine out to swap the gearbox soon, so waiting til then to do the job. I swapped all the other mounts easy enough.

I don't think the rear mount is available aftermarket, but a side mount might be able to be substituted for the rear mount, they do look very similar....

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Husky

I have just been through all this so I can tell you that you can change the rear mount in around 1 hr or less once you have a plan.

1. jack up car and put stands on the side.
2. loosening engine mount nuts on subframe underneath
3. loosen exhaust from manifold(2 nuts)
4. unbolt gearbox stabilizer arm and change arm from gearbox,makes more sense when you get underneath
5. undo 2 mounts bolts on rear mount (12hex)
you might have to lever the engine around with a long screw driver to get some leverage to pull the mount bolt away from the gearbox.
6. cut the threaded rod on the new mount alittle(10-12mm) to make it easier to reinstall
7. reverse order for re-install :)

Now heres the tricky part.
I orginally got the supposed part from auto one. Long story short it failed after 6 months(split) I never felt comfortable when I installed it.
I then ordered the right part from Suzuki same part number for the hatch and MB.
I installed it and I still dont feel comfortable with it.
It seems to put to much strain on it in the normal position.
the threaded rods should be offset in my opinion.
BTW my other mounts where new as well (Left and Right)
SUZUKI PART NUMBER 11710-78401 mounting engine rear
I will try and post part numbers and photos i took
MAX PHONE 008.jpg
Attachments
MAX PHONE 009.jpg
Last edited by Husky on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToranaGuy

Interesting.

Could there be too much strain cause the top mount isn't at the correct settings or the side mounts warn?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
cam

Hi guys,
Which lower rear mounts correct for f8b in mightyboy?
Top is mackay A5038 recommended by others on forum but looks pretty big
Bottom is from suzistore and was in car but never felt right

cheers
Attachments
IMG_2906.JPG
Brayden

The big one is the correct fitment, but you can use a bottom mount (what suzistore sold you) without any issue.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
cam

Thanks Brayden. Appreciated as always.
cam

A5038 doesnt seem to fit. Fouls on engine side mounting bracket/gear linkage support.
Attachments
IMG_2935.JPG
IMG_2934.JPG
Brayden

1st pic looks like the mount is 180 degrees out.
cam

Cant spin it 180 due to locator pins on mount. 2pics just show trying both sides of the mount.
Brayden

Hmm. Lemme check the mounts I have here and I'll get back to you.
cam

Also suzistore mount has oposing locator pins, mackay has both on same side.