what seats can fit in a MB wit little mods?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
gadj

Yes it does...provided you can trim them yourself. Pricewise those Repco sports jobs are cheaper than a re-trim & easier to adapt than something out of another make/model.
Talk to some professionals though, Motor Trimmer (not furniture upholsterer) & find out what possibilities exist for price. Also investigate fitting kits for aftermarket seats.
I have done the above in the past, hence my favoring the aftermarket - might be different where you are.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Scully74

I put some Mazda 121's in mine, they needed a little work to get the MB rails to bolts on, but works find, just can't use the lever to pop the back forward with the doors closed. you also sit a little higher. :snigger:
Laura

I'm going to reinvigorate this thread as i am looking to do the same thing. The seats in sooty have the arse hanging out of them (still original) so you're essentially sitting on the floor. Need to upgrade on a shoestring. I'm looking at excel seats but i never heard how they panned out for this user (playwme?). If there's an easy bolt-on second hand solution it'll be on the top of my to-do list.
Trav

I used some out of an early model Swift. The distance between the rails is the same. I've used the MB rails and just had to drill a hole in the seat for them to fit.
Yes it's my ute, no I won't help you move
pegusas1969

hi i fitted seats from a mazda 323 astina sports. i needed to fit a 50 x 35mm aluminium tube to the inside rails as the seat is wider and also the inside side is higher than the out side. the seats cost me $75.00 for the pair from my local wrecker. the only drama i had was i needed to rotate the seat belt buckle so i use the passanger side on when iam driving. this is because of the width of the seat pushing the buckles out of the way
Attachments
seat after install
seat after install
If near enough was good life would be boring.
Ya Hya Chouhada
TurboKat

I'm in the middle of doing a seat conversion in my Mighty Boy, I'll be using something racey/sporty with some decent side support & I want the seats to fit lower in the car so I've cut the standard rearward seat mounts out & I'm redoing them to sit about 20mm off the floor. The problem I'm finding is there's not a lot of room between the inner sill & the centre hump & I need the seats to fit down in that area.
So far I've trial fitted;
2001 Honda Civic - too wide at the base so can't be mounted low enough.
1999 Toyota Celica - as above
Cobra & Sportiv recliners (aftermarket) these are about 3 times heavier than the stock seats (bad), the bases are just narrow enough but the upper 'wings' foul the B pillar with the seat slid back on the rails (which is where I need it).
SAAS fixed back race seats - these make accessing the area behind the seats a P.I.T.A & I'd have to use a belt type seat belt receiver instead of the std. stalk type, they're super lightweight though...
I'm picking up a set of Recaro recliners on Friday so I'm hoping they are going to tick all the boxes.
I'll post up my findings on the weekend.
If I get no joy from the Recaros I'll look at something like a small GTI for seats (Proton, Swift, Sirloin, MX5, MR2, etc.) :fingersx:
Gotta have it sorted by the Classic Japan event on Dec. 1 so I hope I get lucky. :pray:
Tez

TurboKat.
If push comes to shove can your original MB seats go back in just for the Jap Classic Day so that you can attend in MB?
Tez
So the adventure continues...
TurboKat

That's no worries Tez, I probly could put the stockers back in but I've dummy mounted the SAAS seats & I'm happy with the driving position, they're just not exactly what I want so I'm going to change them for recliners.
It's only an easy days work to make another set of mounts for new seats or finish off the mounts for the SAAS ones so no matter what I end up sitting on, I'll definately be attending Classic Japan in the Boy of Mightyness \:D/
XiT

the ones from JTM Auto on ebay fit just with drilling a couple of holes at the front to bolt them in, they are a very snug fit and are pretty comfy :) but im still using originals seems they only have a small amount of wear and tear :D
If you can't wish for more wishes, wish for more Genies
mental

Did anyone end up trying the excel seats? Im looking at changing mine over & just trying to work out what would best suit.
Brayden

I bought an MB with a set of Excel seats in it and they weren't a great fit. Whoever installed them made a half-arsed job of modifying the seat rails and so they angle towards the centre.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mental

If it was done properly, would they be a good fit? Or should i go the mazda 323s?
Brayden

I think the 323 seats are better, but that's just my opinion.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
danJa

I took the x3 seats out and thought stuff that, and went with gti mk2 seats (all you need is adapter plate)