Distributor solution for electronic ignition

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Brayden

Apparently you can modify a G10A distributor to suit. I've been told it is possible but never actually seen the finished product.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mental

Is the f5a dizzy is the same as the f8b. Have a spare f5a one at home that i would like to convert to elec ignition if it can be used on an f8b
ToranaGuy

mental wrote:Is the f5a dizzy is the same as the f8b. Have a spare f5a one at home that i would like to convert to elec ignition if it can be used on an f8b
Almost, the advance curve is different, otherwise they are the same. Part numbers are different.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
ssc87

ToranaGuy wrote:Only trouble I see with the crane setup is that there is no info on it suiting 3cyl engines. I take it there is another set of small parts to fit inside the dizzy to suit 3cyl operation?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
did this ever get answered?
Jermaine

I have the crane system on my f8b, the xr3000 and the optical sensor,
Worked fine,
Now I'm using the optical sensor in the dizzy to trigger my haltech on my efi conversion

Might even sell the xr3000 ign control box once my mb is up and running as I will no longer need it
ssc87

Does it need a specific trigger wheel to suit the 3 cylinder?
Jermaine

Not that I'm aware of, a place in Melbourne set it all up for me, I can't remember who now
As it was a few yrs ago, pretty sure it's just a crane cams optical trigger wheel
ssc87

Hey jermaine anychance you could pop off the dizzy cap and snap a pic. Bought a kit yesterday with the intent to use the 6 cylinder trigger wheel with black silicon in the 3 unused spaces. I think thats what they probably did with yours. Would be awesome if you could .
Jermaine

I can when I'm near it next which won't be till end of next week,
ssc87

Awesome thanks :)
ssc87

Progress shots heaps more to do. Working on the wiring and installing the bosch gt40r with a new ballast resistor. Looking for the standard 1, anyone know where it is. I have a 3 pole coil standard.

ImageURL=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Stevoss ... 0.jpg.html]Image[/URL]URL=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Stevoss ... 0.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Brayden

When upgrading to electronic ignition you throw the ballast resistor in the bin.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ssc87

In the overview of the xr700 it states "the xr700 requires ballast resistance to limit coil current" in the kit i was supplied a gt40r and 1.6ohm ballast resistor, when connected in series to the ignition switched 12v i get a butt load of smoke and a heap of heat, with that second 12v feed from the starters 3 lug, cant find the standard ballast, is there one for a standard 3 pole coil?
ToranaGuy

I ended up getting the pro quip points conversion kit, which is a bolt in module, a slip on chopper wheel & a new coil. Works a treat, the mighty boy is turn key reliable now, even when sitting for months, just set the choke, pump the peddle twice & kick it, and starts in half a second. I'm happy with it.

I don't think my original question was answered. Doesn't matter tho.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|