Autotechnica seats

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Breyten

Hey all,

Just wanting to see if anyone had fitted the AutotecNica recliner seats before?

As here:

http://images.lasoomedia1.com.au/imagei ... 01_r01.pdf

Looks like they are in Chad's bagged MB, but no straight on pic.
Just want to see if they will bolt straight in, being ADR approved, and reasonably cheap.

Hewball reckoned it was on here, but I fail at searching. Also that their padding is thin, but that's what retrimmers are for!!
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
Chad_

You have to modify the crap out of the rails as the bolts that hold them are almost the same width spacing as the rails. Or you can put a spacer to rise them but then you will b sitting too high. Or you can redrill where the rails bolt down to the floor. Old saas seats are heaps easier to fit. Alot smaller and seating position is lower but dont look as cool.
Colin

yea i fitted them in mine ,pretty easy i thaught
MORE BEER! :beer:
Breyten

Chad_ wrote: the bolts that hold them are almost the same width spacing as the rails.
Sorry, you mean the seats bolt spacing doesnt line up with the stock rails?

Only ever fitted stock for stock as far as seats go before.
Might see if I can take a set of stock rails in store with me to have a look.
Breyten

Repco suck big hair ones.

No stock in WA, probably never was!

So went down the road to local owned chain, not the same model, but they have the SP66 for just a bit more.
Will get stock rails out and go looking anyway. Sitting in the chair it didnt feel like too much, unlike Hewball's Bride seats..
Brayden

The easiest solution with Autotechnica seats is to simply bolt one pair of rails in the ute (without a seat). Make a cardboard template and mark/punch out the rail-to-seat holes, then transfer the template to the seat base and drill out the required holes. Use high-tensile M12 bolts and nuts to bolt the rails to the seats. I did mine in a matter of an hour or two the first time.

Then of course I found out that Autotechnica seats are absolute rubbish in terms of quality and comfort, so I ripped them out and replaced them with Sparcos.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Breyten

Seat base looked to have threaded inserts to take the bolts, or is it threaded holes in the frame/base?

I hear you about Sparcos. Just being a bit more realistic at this stage.
Chad_

I agree brayden. I ripped mine out and put my old ripped saas 1's back in. Heaps more comfy. I was devo when i tried to fit my recaro sr3 seats that i removed from my r32 in and they didnt fit at all.
cozza

i put the same ones in mine, bit of a stuff around with re drilling holes in the rails to accomidate for the seats and i dont get as much adjustment slideing with the seats anymore and are quiet hard to sit on. but still look nice once in.
djflex

Im pretty sure mine are exactly the same the only difference is mine have the leather trim on the edges.

There is a simple method of using a steel 'L' channel and bolting it straight in.

If you are still interested I can rip the seat out and photograph it for you.(only if your serious as it will take me at least a half hour due the bolt position)

No matter how much you clean a standard mighty boy carpet it always looks grotty

"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
George A Romero - Father of Zombie Films
Breyten

Awesome, those are the same type I was looking at yesterday I think.
Took seat out last night, the mounts from seat to rail across are 375mm apart, it that bar to widen rails gap to suit or opposite?
Also, are they squashed between the two seats or barely touching?
djflex

Yes that correct 375 mm (from seat track rail outer edge to outer edge)

The bar adds width so you can screw into the existing holes and add rigidty for the seats to sit on. As well as adding a bolting point for the rails on seat.

gap between middle of both seats is less than 2 cm

I have spinal problems so personally I like the seats as they stop me shifting around corners and tend to be firm with no thoracic roll (doesnt roll your back like a turtle).

Firm but comfortable for me. One word of caution is watch the hump when you sit in as it is naturaly attracted to coxic bones :)
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
George A Romero - Father of Zombie Films
Wharfin

Easy job, couple hours work. Fit in nice too.
Breyten

I used to have a BMW, for some reason their seats all are major risks to back injury, when getting in and out. Think my natural method of lowering myself into seats should help avoid the side bolsters!

To clarify, those rails are now further/wider than the std 375mm spacing? In order to match the seats.
Breyten

I went and got the seats and the pre-drilled bars to suit.
some precise drilling and use of spacers was nessesary as the place to drill to match the stock rails was very close to the bolts to secure the bars to the seats.

otherwise, the only modification to any stock part of the vehicle was to enlarge the seat-mount holes in the stock rails to suit the M8 bolts.

I will get a pic of the mount setup later, but for now, end result!