Horn replacement

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
CHR15 N

So ,my horn does not work. After a short investigation, Something is missing in this picture. Perhaps it has snapped off in its life.
Does anybody know if these can be removed from the stork controls, or do I need to replace the whole lot?
Attachments
20130401_161121.jpg
Last edited by CHR15 N on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cozza

there is an articale somewhere on the net about rewireing it so you only need to have one wire attached to the center of the steering colum and another attached to the wire on the back of the combination switch if i find it ill let you know
CHR15 N

Thanks Cozza.
I Do have the round contact on the steering wheel, I just wasnt sure what I needed in the picture.
Brayden has explained it to be a tab that sticks up to contact the wheel.
Any pictures would be helpful in making one.
Brayden

Here you go mate. Apologies for the horrid phone camera quality.
Attachments
horn-striker.jpg
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
CHR15 N

The picture helps alot, thanks.
Now, If I earth out my broken 'L' contact, the horn will sound, however this does not work on the steering column, How do I get that to earth out, is there another set of contacts?
Brayden

The steering column is earthed via the steering rack. On the right-hand side of the rack there should be a wire connected to the bracket that holds the rack to the firewall.
CHR15 N

Awesome. Had a looky underneath. I found a short wire on the L/H side with one end attached to the firewall bracket, the other to nothing (has a ring connector on it), And I cant see anything it would go to.
How does the wire attach to the steering rack?
Brayden

On the R/H end of the rack there is a screw hole just near the mounting bracket. Someone has put the wire on the L/H side in error.
CHR15 N

Can't see it. Am I missing something? or am I missing something!
Attachments
Somewhere near here
Somewhere near here
Brayden

Your OTHER right. :lol: As in the passenger side.
CHR15 N

Ok, after a bit of degreasing, It seems my attachment has been grinded off to make way for the custom fitment of the gearbox.
20130430_164055.jpg
Alternate attachment
Alternate attachment
My new horn Tab.
My new horn Tab.

Horn all functional.
Thanks Brayden.

-Case Closed-
leotis

Brayden wrote:Here you go mate. Apologies for the horrid phone camera quality.
Hi there,
I know I'm replying to quite an old message, but I am wondering if you can advise me. I have a 91 Super Carry F10A and I am replacing the steering wheel. 
The previous owner had trouble with his steering wheel and horn button, so he had someone put a horn button on the fascia and altered the wiring a bit, so I am seeking advice from someone who knows how the combination switch would have looked originally.
On your photo from the post I notice a blue wire connected to the copper tab. Do you happen to recall if that is blue with green stripe? Of course it may be a different colour since mine isn't a mightyboy. But I guess the other question is: is that blue wire to the copper tab the live/hot side? I am guessing it is and that the earth wire is elsewhere. The original copper tab is gone, but I can fashion a new one along the lines of what others in this forum have done :) 
I found an earth wire connected to the base of the steering column under the plastic, but I don't know where the other end was connected (now it's connected to the aftermarket horn button). On your photo I see just the blue wire and not another earth wire.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
Kind regards, Leo
Brayden

+12v is the wire connected through the copper tab (and ring on the back of the wheel). Negative is a short wire inside the wheel (because the steering column is earthed).
leotis

That's great thanks! I've got the SAAS BK134L kit which has a wire that will earth the horn button to the spline/column and another that will connect the base of the boss and copper tab to the horn button, so I should be sorted. Much appreciated.