Engine Swap

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
peterg

I have a mighty boy with a 8FB 4 speed. I'm thinking of changing to a 10GA and 5 speed. I have seen in the engine conversion section that you need a subframe from a mighty boy auto. I have one of these. I am hoping to get a bit better acceleration and better top end speed on the highway. Has anyone done this conversion and were they happy with the result. What are the problems in doing this conversion. Do you need to make new engine mounts. What drive shafts do you use and do you still use the same brakes? Any help, advice or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks..
playwme

I've got one. I didn't do the conversion though, a mate did. I think he used the original swift CV innerspring and then found otters the right length that fit the MB hub.

It's a nice torquey conversion. Mines running a Webber carb that isn't operating perfectly at lower revs, but it still pulls from 100kph in 5th gear no worries. I originally sold him the car as a stocker and when he was about 95% done he decided he wanted the motorbike I was selling and I gave him part trade on the MB. Yours for $2500 if you want to take the easy route. Engine was completely stripped and rebuilt, I think he spent around $3k on that alone.
djflex

G10a is a good conversion not too dificult and will increase your power considerably
from 59 NM to 80 NM torque and the 5 speed will make highways a breeze

The F6A turbo or K6A is the real kicker if you want some extra turbo boost

up to 91 NM torque. Yahoo Jap Auction have them all the time

parts for the G10a are easier to come by than the F6A (trust me)
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
George A Romero - Father of Zombie Films
peterg

Thanks Playwme and Djflex for replying to my post. Playwme It's a shame I didn't hear about your car before I bought my Mighty Boy. I bought mine early this year on Ebay sight unseen. Unfortunately the written description didn't match the car. It required a lot more work than I really wanted. Had to fix up the engine oil leaks and put in a new gearbox. All the wiring had been butchered so the whole loom was replaced. The dash had been hacked to pieces and the heater and all the vents were missing. I also have to put in new seats. I was thinking maybe Swift GTI seats. But I'll have to measure them and see if they fit. It goes and looks half decent now except for the hail damage. That'll get fixed when I paint it. I am going to put in a G10A. I have a bare reconditioned engine and I think I'll try buy a Swift and transfer the other parts. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the engine mounts with the Swift to copy off.
Djflex, I probably would have gone the F6A turbo route but unfortunately I have a 17 year old that gets his P's next year. He loves driving it and the police don't like P platers driving turbo cars.
Brayden

peterg wrote:Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the engine mounts with the Swift to copy off.
Swift engine mounts are useless in an MB. You need to adapt the driver's side cradle and make custom brackets for the rest.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
peterg

Thanks Brayden. Looks like I'm up for a bit of a challenge. I'm going upload a photo of my MB. I really want one of those Team Mighty Boy stickers.
peterg

Does anyone know if the G10A engine was used in the Barinas. If so what years?
Brayden

Barinas were all 1.3L. Swifts from 1983 through to 1995 all had a 1L model though.
peterg

I have a G10A engine with the black tin rocker cover. Can anyone tell me if the accessories from a G10A with the alloy rocker cover will bolt on to my G10A with the tin rocker cover?
Colin

just finished a G10a conversion took 7 days, they fit good the hardest thing i found to get right was the drive shaft lengths all else is pretty straight forward.went straight through engineering too and rego 8)
MORE BEER! :beer:
peterg

Thanks for the post Colin. How have you found the bigger engine and 5 speed to drive? I have a fully reco'd 10A but it is bare. I've been looking for a donor swift for all the engine hang on pieces and gearbox. Not much luck at the moment but I'm sure something will turn up. What sort of shifter did you use?
Colin

get yourself a running donor car thats the best way and you have to customize the shifter
MORE BEER! :beer:
peterg

We put the G10A in about 6 months ago.  The car is much better to drive with the 993 and the 5 speed gearbox.  I feel that perhaps the gear ratios are a little far apart.  I've been told that the GTI gearbox from the 1.3 is much better.  Can any one tell me if the GTI gearbox will bolt up to the G10A???
Brayden

GTi (G13B) has same final drive and 1st/2nd gear ratio as GA (G10A) box. Only difference is 3/4/5, which are Cino (G13BA) spec.
GTi box has slightly different bellhousing to GA.