ICV discussion

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Zeeky

Hello...

I was just wondering if anyone here has done the necessary hoop jumping involved in building a mighty boy as an icv(individually constructed vehicle). The ICV legislation is awesome for project car builders, hot rodders, and kit car owners. After a decent skimming of the ADR's (Australian Design Rules) i have not really comfirmed the vehicle type from the list. the monash university crash statistics page shows the mighty boy as a class NA vehicle, which isn't LT1-4(common classifications for most passenger vehicles) This would put it in the commercial vehicles category for which there are different power to weight calculations id assume, but i can't find the new power to weight ratio formulas for commercial vehicles.

In the ADR pdf on light vehicles it said that vehicles that weren't in the Lt1-4 category, and instead The commercial vehicle category(NA and some other one i forgot) were exempt from the power to weight calculations rule for light vehicles.... to which i raised an eyebrow.

Anyways.... long story short... im planning on making a balls out mighty boy, and it looks a little loopholey in my favour.

Probably worth mentioning to old mate with the VE ute conversion...

Cheers.

P.S. if anyone knows more about this kind of thing, or has been through it... I would love to hear your input.
gazuga

There was a guy on here years ago going the ICV route in Queensland. 
From memory had big body mods and had a Japanese V12 he was planning to fit. I vaguely remember it all being signed off on with qld transport too.
Not sure what ever happened with it though as he disappeared from the forum mid build. 
Brayden

Zeeky wrote:In the ADR pdf on light vehicles it said that vehicles that weren't in the Lt1-4 category, and instead The commercial vehicle category(NA and some other one i forgot) were exempt from the power to weight calculations rule for light vehicles.... to which i raised an eyebrow.
Admittedly I haven't read the NCOP thoroughly, but I can confirm the MB does sit in the commercial/4x4 category. That does make it exempt from emissions standards, but not power/weight limitations as far as I know.
That's irrelevant anyway if you're building an ICV, where you'd only be carrying across the silhouette/body panels of an MB.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Zuffen

I built and registered an ICV in NSW in 2013.  Not a MB rather a Mitsubishi L300 with an LS3 in the rear.

Engineering cost me $9,000 and took 15 months.

You have to be brave and prepared to spend heaps to go ICV.