qld Supercharged MB

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Eamon

Hey all.
Just finished High school and i have to much time on my hands. i have also just discovered about the AMR300 blower that will fit onto the mightyboy and all the forum posts regarding it. but the main problem is i am on my P (Red) plates and i don't fully know the Qld laws on this high powered vehicle stuff, i assume blowing the MB is legal because of the current lack of power that the F8B has and if the charger makes 100% more power it would not exceed the legal limit of 125kw/t. 

If blowing the MB is legal i hope to do a draw though setup with the stock carby. if possible can you also give me a rundown on what needs to be done.

Cheers
XiT

These cars are exempt from all that rubbish. Like the charade turbo and cappuccino.
If you can't wish for more wishes, wish for more Genies
Eamon

So if i was to go though with the process would i need to consult with an engineer before or after to get a mod plate for the supercharger setup, or just do the conversion and not worry about the engineering certificates? because of the size of car
XiT

Mod plates are still required after the work is done to ensure all is up to standard but due to low powered vehicle it's all still p plate legal.
86BOY

Regardless of the power to weight theory, you are a P plate driver which means you cant drive a car that has a modification plate, especially for the motor. Adding forced induction is a major mod to any motor which requires an engineers cert and mod plate. Some mod plates are p plate friendly like changing a 3 seater to a 2 seater, as long as its minor. You could go through with Supercharging it and not get it engineered and take the risk of not getting pulled up or getting into an accident, you would be better off leaving it until you have an open license IMO.

Boosted F8B Pocket Rocket.
Eamon

I am sure there is a way around it because much larger cars all made around the same era all with superchargers are exempt and are allowed on QLD P plate licence laws.
Brayden

I'd like to clear up a few incorrect assumptions/statements in this thread.
  • QLD, NSW, ACT and VIC all use the DOTARS NCOP for light vehicle modifications. Read VSI L20 for info on engine swaps. "Low power" is not a consideration.
  • MightyBoys aren't in the same category as factory turbo/supercharged cars, regardless of power to weight. Being classified as a commercial vehicle under 850cc there are a few relaxed rules, but mods still need to comply with the DOTARS NCOP.
  • Any modification that requires a mod plate/engineers certificate means the vehicle is illegal for P platers. Under the NCOP this includes turbocharging/supercharging. Technically even a standard F8B swap requires a mod plate because they were not a factory option for an MB, and they exceed the +20% power rule. (F8B has nearly 50% more power, and 46% increase in capacity over the standard F5A).
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Eamon

Dang that is a real bummer i had it all planned out (sorta). looks like i might just have to wait 2 years just to give the MB the toque it needs to get up the range. sucks that the Hoon P plates ruin everyone else dreams of what car they want to drive.
Eamon

Alright so ive looked into it more and i can apply for a moderately powered vehicle exemption. its just a matter of how many forms i am willing to fill out... also i do not have another readily avilable car that could be asked for in the application 
High-powered (performance) vehicles include those with:
•eight or more cylinders 
•a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered 
•an engine that has a power output of more than 210kW as per the manufacturer's specifications 
•a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications 
•a modified engine that must be approved under section 13 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010.

1. Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicle

You may apply for a certificate of exemption if the vehicle you wish to drive meets all of the following: 
•has a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered 
•has a power-to-weight ratio of not more than 125kW/t 
•does not have any other features of a high-powered vehicle as outlined above.

Although im not to sure about the other features of a high powered vehicle and i hope it does not mean the whole concept of a modified engine (adding a supercharger) because then this is pretty pointless  
86BOY

All those facts are for vehicles that come 'factory' with a Turbo/Supercharger, a Cappuccino for example. An exception of this kind isn't for putting a Turbo/Supercharger on your Mighty Boy, you are still stuck with the fact you are a P Plater that isn't allowed a mod plate. 
Eamon

*sigh of despair* alright looks like il be waiting 3 years to get my opens... Thanks for your feedback anyway 
86BOY

Yeah that's no problem. I felt the same pain back when i was a P Plater haha. Being on my opens for a couple of years and have only just found bits and pieces for an EFI + Turbo setup (after looking for a very long time) Its less worries about P Plate restrictions.
XiT

Sorry if I was wrong thought "low powered vheicles" were pretty much open to anything.
Brayden

XiT wrote:Sorry if I was wrong thought "low powered vheicles" were pretty much open to anything.
All good mate. :) There's so much info thrown around on the net that you're bound to pick up some dodgy advice at some point!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.