Going wide.

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
XiT

Another question for everyone. Reading the wheel cart we got to 6" wide. If I wanted to push that further and go for some 14x8s obviously I'll need flares. But the question is am I going to scrub out on lock ? Not sure if the added width will need rubbing the front to allow full lock or not. I know offset is going to add to this but just as a general idea.
If you can't wish for more wishes, wish for more Genies
Jeo

Going to entirely depend on offset and tyre choice. 14x6 vs 14x8, assuming the same offset, will be 25mm closer on the inside edge and 25mm further out on the outside edge. Tyres will then obviously affect width, but also an overall diameter increase will mean your inside edge gets closer to the body when turning too.

Assuming you keep rolling diameter the same, turn full lock both ways and measure your clearance to the body on the inside edge of the tyre. Lets say for example that you have a 20mm gap both front and rear of the tyre. If you fitted 2" wider wheels with the same offset, you'd definitely rub as you've brought the inside edge 25mm closer to the body. Instead you'd need to fit 2" wider wheels with at least 5mm less offset to get clearance.

If you change rolling diameter, the math gets harder but it's still fairly straight forward. Can't see why you'd change diameter enough to make a difference though.

I have a set of 13x5.5 wheels that scrub at full lock, and a set of 13x7 that clear just fine. The 7" wide wheels have significantly lower offset though.
Psi_Wagon

im running 15x8's +25 from memory and there fine with inside clearance, outer clearance requires some work depending on how low u want to go.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
XiT

Cheers for all the info. Outside won't be a worry as I'm going to get flares for it. Hopefully on it's overall diameter I can run them because the speedo is spot on :p
If you can't wish for more wishes, wish for more Genies