First loss.....

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Husky

Digging up an old post but seems kind of relevant to my na f8b.
I have converted to electronic ignition(Crane cams XR700) and want to know if replacing my standard coil with a Bosch GT40R will gain any improvment in performance?
Cheers
Brayden

If you've switched to electronic ignition then ditch the 9v coil and ballast resistor pronto!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Husky

excuse my ignorance Brayden, Are you referring to ditching the standard coil? If so how do I wire up the Bosch coil, with resistor or with out...
Thanks
Brayden

Yep, turf the standard coil and go for one that doesn't require a ballast resistor (the GT40R is designed for use _with_ a resistor).

I'm running an MSD blaster SS coil and found it very good. Prior to that I had a Bosch GT40T transformer coil and it also performed well.
Husky

Thanks mate,
Is a bosch "GT40" the same thing? i.e the one I need with out resistor :)
Brayden

Pretty sure they don't make a GT40 anymore, so get the transformer version.
Husky

I have found a couple 2nd hand GT40 in good condition so will they do. I cant seem to find GT40T :NFI:
This has got me Fu++ed. I wish I understood more what and why its needed :crazy:
Brayden

The GT40 and GT40R are designed to run with a ballast resistor at 9V. With an electronic ignition you should run 12V, which is what the GT40T is designed for. You can buy them at any decent auto shop, or an MSD Blaster SS.
Husky

I think I get it. The standard coil has a ballast resistor and measures 3 ohms inclusive of the balast resistor but I need a coil with no ballast resistor which will measure around 1.5 ohm and the voltage should increase to 12v.
Am I on the right track :?:
djflex

My Coil looks like it has some serious issues.

I ran a resistance test on it and got 13.8 k/ohm on the secondary coil and it should be 8 k/ohms

The problem I found replacing it was that none of the Shelf coils have a ballast pole on them.

I know Brayden installed the MSD Blaster SS http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSD-Blaster- ... 2a1cac1d61

what do you do about the ballast pole and leads?

Im running points
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
George A Romero - Father of Zombie Films
gadj

Brayden » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:48 pm
The GT40 and GT40R are designed to run with a ballast resistor at 9V. With an electronic ignition you should run 12V, which is what the GT40T is designed for. You can buy them at any decent auto shop, or an MSD Blaster SS.
Sorry Brayden, My history in spare parts says GT40R with resistor hence the R suffix, Gt40 without.
I will try to remember to have a look at what is still avail. on Tues seeing tomorrow is Labor day hol.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ssc87

Dam husky had the same problem, to run a gt40t with no resistor?