water pump blues,

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
peternhenry

Hi there all, my name is Pete and this is my first ever post on a forum,am considerably well aged at 50something : :oops: : and am the proud owner of an '88 Suzi alto.

Bought this from a lady whose daughter drove it into a post, and just left it under her house for a number of years. I had a friend who was able to fix the body up and had it roadworthied and regoed'
which was pretty easy, as its condition after being kept protected meant that the interior and paint was still in really good condition.

sadly though the cooling system was completely clogged and corroded, (I guess it had something to do with all those years of storage with water in it)

Had the radiator recored and poked out heaps of junk/rust through the heater etc; and noticed a bit of wear in the water pump pulley, wobbly actually, but there were no leaks so I just relaxed the tension on the belt so it doesn't make too much noise and have been happily driving it for the last couple of years, With a replacement pump, new timing belt,and alternator belt sitting in the back seat waiting for for me to overcome my procrastination...
and FEAR...I have heard on other occasions the sound of snapping rockers and would hate the thought of said damage happening to my sweet little f8b.

The manual says this can be done with the engine in the car,but lining up timing marks on pulleys in such a confined space... on the front lawn, possibly in the mud, doesn't leave me breathless with anticipation,

Is there someone here who may be able to recommend, perhaps, help me with some advice as to my next step
Just do it!
or pay the professional!
if so can anybody advise me on what I'm looking at regarding labour and price.
and if there may be someone around here (hinterland, sunshine coast) that is knowledgeable in such maters.

pete...
Brayden

I reckon you'd be looking at about $300 in labour to replace the pump, and at the same time it is always a good idea to replace the timing belt and tensioner.

If you're mechanically-savvy and don't mind taking your time you can tinker over a weekend and get the job done. It isn't difficult, just fiddly given the available space.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
1-MORE

Similar problem on son's MB.
I know the manual says he can be done in situ but...
how do you get the crank pulley off when you can't get to the flywheel to stop it turning?
gadj

My mechanic told me to put a socket & breaker bar or ring spanner on the crank nut with regard to direction of engine rotation (set the tool against a suitable obstacle) then tickle the ignition enough to have the engine turn over a bit. This works remarkably well to loosen the nut. Just make sure nothing that matters is likely to be hit by the tool chosen. Prior to learning this potentially dangerous method I tried using a screwdriver down the timing hole on the bell housing to stop rotation & I couldn't budge the crank nut at all.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
KEVIN

Pull the coil lead off before you hit the key if you try this to make sure it won't start :oops:
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
gadj

Good call Kevin! Thankfully, I never got caught by the engine starting as the idea is to just only get it to turn. Removing the coil lead is a worthwhile safety measure. :thumbup1:
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
Chad_

Done the water pump gasket in my boy about a month ago. I had it done in about 25 mins in the shed on a saturday morn. Easiest motor ever. And timing belt is easy as. Just line up the marks like almost any car. I used a powerbar to crack the crank bolt. I took some pictures as i done it but never got around to post on this thread. I can when i get back on the computer if needed. Just remember to crack the cam gear bolt before you take the timing belt off.
Billie

I want to see this 25 minute job, takes me 20 mins to have a few drinks before starting, they are very easy though.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
gadj

Billie, are those drinks just to ease the pain of getting yourself down to engine level? :P
Billie

Lol. Yep. Worse on my soarer.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
peternhenry

Just remember to crack the cam gear bolt before you take the timing belt off.
Thanks for that piece of advice Chad. Any thing helps with this Job :-o
Last weekend I started loosing water and decided the time has come too replace the pump, ARGGG... what a job !. Surprisingly, bit by bit, pulley by pulley,It's coming to bits.

Had nightmares about getting the harmonic balancer off. A friend told me about a little slot/hole in the flywheel case through which I was able to jam a big screwdriver into the flywheel cog whilst turning the harmonic nut. It worked ridiculously easily :D 17 ml socket with 3 feet of 1 inch gal pipe, bolt came out...

tapped on the pulley with hammer and it just about fell off, :D

Now I'm just about to remove timing belt, spent the last few hours on the web and consulting the marvelous workshop manual from this site.

I think I worry too much, better just get on with it..
mowog

a cunning way to do timing belt is to loosen the locking bolt,split the belt all the way around about 1/2 way through, cut off the front split bit, slide the new timing belt on to the timing gear and crank gear, then remove the other half of the belt and slide the new one on and retension the belt.don't even need to loosen the gears.
however to do the water pump I think you need to remove everything else.haven't done one for so long forgotten.
peternhenry

Arrrgggg, Didn't work...got every thing together and no start. Obviously mucked up the timing, looks like I'll have to take it apart again and try to get the timing right, I just know I don't want to wreck valves or tappets and make this simple job into a nightmare.
Wondering whether or not to pay a mobile mechanic to help. Trouble is finding someone who has some experience with Suzi engines. There used to be a shop at maroochydore that has since closed down, been to one at springwood way down on the other side of Brisbane. don't like the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for a tilt tray to take it down there... Just for a knowledgeable person to set up the timing properly. beside which I'd have to get an advance on my pension to afford it.
I guess now all I can do is await some advice from here.
Should I just keep trying to line up marks I can't see properly?, Should I release all the tappets before I start? do I have to remove the whole bloody engine.
I've run out of ideas...

HELP...
peternhenry

It looks so simple,
It looks so simple,
peternhenry

Looking at that picture just makes me think of what a big sook I am... It certainly looks straight forward, :NFI: Will have another go tomorrow :oops: