800cc auto gearing vs 800cc manual gearing

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
playford

I currently have a 550cc hatch manual wich doesnt like much more than 90km pn the highway for any distance with the 800cc auto would it have better highway gearing or should i be looking for a 800cc manual for better highway driving thanks playford
Brayden

800 auto has a slightly taller final ratio than an 800 manual, meaning the engine revs slightly less hard with the slushbox. Tradeoff is that the auto only has two gears where the manual has four, so the manual handles hills better.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
playford

Thanks thats a realy good guide that is a really handy bit of infomation .sounds like the auto would be good for flat stuff and the manual for the hilly twisty roads i will look for a auto i reaken. should sit on 90/ 95km quite well
gadj

The 800 auto will sit on 110 for ages but happier to sit on 100. Fuel consumption good at 90 - 95 but starts dropping as you go faster (sitting 2 -3 seconds back behind a large bodied truck helps heaps, no need to get right up on the tailgate). My 800 auto was fairly thirsty, I put that down to living 400 M above sea level & having to climb the range on a daily basis as the needle barely moved until pointed up that hill on the way home.
By all means possible avoid ethanol content in fuel unless you enjoy doing rebuilds, one tank of E10 was enough to crack the rings in mine due to detonation. I found out after the fact that carburettor engines do not like ethanol - don't know how the Cubans manage with their old Yank iron on 100% ethanol.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
playford

Thanks for the info on the suzuki hatch 800 auto gearing very helpful guys thanks playford sounds like the auto would do the job if there are plenty of flat foads manual better for the steep twisty stuff
Dan81ALTOugh

Hey I have a 82 alto. I oringinaly took out an sold it was rooted an I had plans go put in a hyabusa. Anyway I went to my local scrap yard an pulled out an f8b vvith a for speed box I just droped it in an have a problems one there are two selectors in ny car an there is one stabilizer an only one selector on tge gear box the alto I puld I tg out of was newer it had a slanted bonnet im just woundering if they make more then one gearbox for tg he f8b engine can some one please help me asap
!!!
Brayden

Gearboxes are the same, although the mounts are different on the later model Alto. Apart from that, everything should connect up the same way.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.