upgrading turbo - what size

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Carter

Hey guys, new here. I'm beginning my Alto mods soon (F6A turbo). I've picked up some 300-325cc Injectors from a Mazda mx6 turbo, Apexi safc ii and an AEM wideband o2 sensor and gauge.

My question is: what is the stock turbo good for as far as its limits go?

What's everyone using for an upgraded turbo to hit the ball park range of 150hp? I've seen everything from the wagon R turbo to Subaru turbos being used and not sure what to buy.
Tez

Hi Carter.
Welcome to the group.
Like others would have, I read your first post in the Alto/Hatch/Cervo thread, but like others, I don't have an answer for you.
Certainly you picked the right thread there, to pitch your question about ECU's and turbo's etc...
I'm not sure there are many guys on the forum who can authoritatively advise you if you're aiming for 150hp. Generally if you get few (or no answers) it's because readers don't know themselves.
This is a fairly tight and honest discussion group. People are generally loath to give bad or poor advice just for the sake of saying something, so don't be disheartened that you got little or no response... you're just heading into uncharted waters for a lot of us.
By all means, if you've used the search function and not found what you need, continue to post any question you might have regarding your build/mods - There is a lot that HAS been done by the members of this group, and there are some truly gifted and talented people reading this site who yet, may venture an answer to your questions.
Nice ride, by the way.
Cheers for now.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
grant4561

Carter,

Again welcome.

If you are going for 150hp be prepared to upgrade the bottom end commponents, gearbox and diff as though will not handle that sort of hp. Without spending heaps on those bits you can probaly go to about 110 to 120hp.

A suzuki sport rhb31fw should give about 110hp and a garrett gt12 a bit more. In Japan a lot of cappo race guys fit hitachi ht07 turbos but hey are a bit hard to find and they should give 120 to 130hp.

You probably wont need 325cc injectors for this sort of hp. Starlet 295cc ones work well.

Oh yeah you will need to upgrade the clutch as well.

This is from experience with my cappo which is now about 95kwatw.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Carter

Excellent! That's exactly the information I was looking for. How fun is the clutch to replace on these cars? I've only done rwd clutches so they weren't too bad. They also had a lot more space :)

What are the boost limits for the stock turbo? I'm having troubles finding a GT12 and the Suzuki sport. I was thinking of cranking the boost up to 16ish psi and adding the necessary fuel until I can find one. It's at 12psi now and I haven't touched anything yet. My injectors are rated for 300cc at 37psi of fuel pressure, so only 5cc more. I should be able to dial it down with the safc to make them work. Let me know if I'm out to lunch :D haha.
grant4561

Stock boost is usualy around 11psi and a standard RHB31 turbo in good condition should get 16psi.

The Garrett turbos would have to be souced through a dealer and require some modification for the oil feed line for them and the RHB32FW turbo would be best sourced either from Monaster Sports or Yahoo Japan and are a direct bolt on.

Either will easily give yoiu 16psi plus and will cut in about 750 to 1000rpm later but have much better responce than the stock turbo at 16psi.