help Needed with Hatch (800 - SS80V) Timing Cover Seals/Gaskets

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Hammy

Yet again I am asking for help...
Just replaced the seals on the front end of the Crankshaft and Camshaft - all went good.
Come to fit the timing cover seals and surprise surprise, the part I got was the wrong one for my engine - even though the rest appears to be OK.
The part numbers are correct for the 800cc engine - I've checked and double checked and triple checked the numbers on various web sites and they all come back with the same number for this engine. Should be 11482-73004. That's what I got, but apparently that's not what I need.
Just so I make it clear, the seal I am looking for is the triangular one that fits between roughly half way up the cover between the engine and the timing cover. Roughly where the timing belt tensioner sits.
(I have a photo of the cover showing the shape of the seal, but I dunno how to attach it to this post... - can someone help me with that too?)
Questions:
Do I need that seal and does anyone know where to get the right one from?
Can I make a custom seal (if so what materials should I use?)
Can I use a liquid seal?
Is everything with these wonderful cars as hard to get hold of as I'm finding?

I did have some success recently, I got a clutch kit that had the wrong thrust bearing - I eventually sourced an Exedy BRG2139 from brake depot on Ebay (which is apparently an alternative for the TBR326) that seems to be right - I also bought a GSB326 from allpartsautomotive.com.au and it looks the same. just thought that this information might be of use to someone...

Anyway, any help on the gaskets/seals would be most welcome

Regards

Hammy
Brayden

Hammy wrote: (I have a photo of the cover showing the shape of the seal, but I dunno how to attach it to this post... - can someone help me with that too?)
Questions:
Do I need that seal and does anyone know where to get the right one from?
Can I make a custom seal (if so what materials should I use?)
Can I use a liquid seal?
Is everything with these wonderful cars as hard to get hold of as I'm finding?
In order of your questions:
1. Below where you write a post there are two tabs - 'options' and 'attachments'. Photos (and other files) can be uploaded here.
2. From memory the seal prevents the timing cover from rattling against the block, and oil from getting on the timing belt, so I would put one on.
3. Yes, cork or similar.
4. I don't see why not.
5. Absolutely, and the fact that part numbers rarely match the part itself makes things more difficult. For the parts that don't exist at all you need to get creative. You'll learn to love customising and fabricating parts.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Hammy

Brayden,

Thanks for the help - yet again.

I'm thinking I'll get some cork (or similar gasket material) and make one up. Then I'll put some Hylomar on to help with the seal.

I've attached the three photos now I know how to do it.

Regards

Hammy
Attachments
This sort of shows what I got in the seal kit...
This sort of shows what I got in the seal kit...
This is the part numbers on the kit package
This is the part numbers on the kit package
This is the outline of the old seals shape
This is the outline of the old seals shape