new HA22s Works Owner

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Axeboy

Hey Guys

Just bought a 99 Alto Works RSZ and its on its way from Japan :) Looking for help with the best plan of action in tuning the little k6a.
Ive joined a few other forums trying to find out info but there isn't much about. I hope you guys can help.

Do I need an aftermarket ECU? Or can the boost be upped a touch without one? Reason I ask is I would like to do some basics first and up the boost a little before considering ecu's later.

Currently thinking:
1. Seems to have an exhaust, but if not I'll get something decent
2. Air filter of course
3. Boost control
4. Injectors (Starlet?) and new plugs

Any advice appreciated guys :)

Brayden

Welcome! You can up the boost with an EBC, but you won't get far without bumping the boost limiter on the factory ECU.
They're also speed limited from the factory.

Are you planning on registering the Alto? If so, how?! :-o
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Axeboy

Hi there

Yep, it can be registered relatively easily as its over 10 years old.

Thanks for the info. Do you think the mods mentioned will be OK without aftermarket ECU's or best to just go with one straight away?
Brayden

Axeboy wrote:Yep, it can be registered relatively easily as its over 10 years old.
I assumed you were in Australia, but clearly not. ;)
The boost/fuel cut should kick in at around 1.1bar, which would be fine with standard injectors.
I wouldn't recommend changing the injectors with the standard ECU. It will most likely make the engine run like a pig at low RPM.
Axeboy

Yeah, sorry, Scotland :)
Appreciate the info.

What I'm thinking for toys is this then:
1. Fuel cut defender
2. Boost Control
3. Air filter/Intake
4. Exhaust/decat
5. Maybe a slightly larger intercooler

You think that plan would be decent for starters? Or would you recommend a different route?
Brayden

1. Not a bad idea, but I'd add a piggy-back ECU to give you some additional fuel control.
  2. See above.
  3. In my experience pod filters do very little. Changing the stock paper filter for a reusable (cleanable) panel is a good idea though.
  4. If you can legally decat and open up the exhaust then go for it.
  5. Slightly larger intercooler won't make much (if any) difference. A front mount (or water to air top mount) will bring down intake temps significantly.
Axeboy

Nice one
On the filter I was just going to go with an HKS or similar panel, keeping the airbox.
I'll wait for the car to arrive and see what space there is for a front mount. Appreciate the help
Axeboy

Axeboy

That's some pics from the Docks..... but its on a slow boat :(

Wont be here till early September
Axeboy

Gathering some bits and decided when it arrives to just go with this:

1. Manual Boost controller at 1 bar inc gauge
2. Apexi Panel filter
3. HKS Bov (not normally my style at all, but a bit of fun)
4. Decat

I'll leave it at that for upgrades and enjoy the car for a while before considering whats next. Of course I will ensure its all serviced etc and everything in good order. I had been looking at the Link Atom ecu etc but I decided to go with a cheap boost first and enjoy.
Axeboy

Ok, a few pics.
Car overall is decent but it needs paintwork along the roof lines for some reason. It may be that it used to have stickers along the lines as its only really there... annoying. However, mechanically its pretty good :)

I only have one key so I'll need to try and source a replacement. Interior is all there and solid, needs a clean which I'll do properly when home and registered. Just waiting on the NOVA document but a good list of work to do:

1. Service inc new plugs and apexi filter to be fitted
2. Boost controller and guage to be fitted (and HKS bov :p )
3. New tyres due
4. Probably will get the paint sorted, its pretty bad on those lines
5. Will source UK service books/manuals
6. Speedo converter to be fitted
7. New stereo to be fitted
8. Underseal
9. New outer CV joints
Another bonus is the car speaks Japanese to you when you get in :) Worth it just for that :)
Drives solid, very rigid. It is tiny as well, shorter bonnet than expected. The intercooler is the size of my hand, hahaaha.

DANGO_MASTA

Hi Axeboy.

Nice car, I picked up the same model over here in Japan as a run about and it's the fastest feeling slow car I have ever driven. They sound like all the power and fury on earth is trapped within them, even when just getting up to speed in traffic, and their light weight and tiny tyres make them great fun to hustle along on windy roads even if you are only doing the speed limit. All the fun with none of the fines, what's not to like?

A word of advice though, when you get it throw some fat friends in it, find the biggest longest windiest road you can and drive up it. Many K6A engined cars develop a fault where the cam angle sensor can fail to send a signal when it gets too hot, specifically after "long" periods of high load activity like mountain climbing. Symptoms for me were a sudden complete engine shut down, and inability to restart until the sensor sufficiently cooled. Others get surging and stuttering first, mine just turned off with out warning. Running perfectly one second, the next motor says "Naptime!!!!"

The sensor is located on the right hand side rear of the motor, costs about 25 AUD and only takes 5 mins to change (one 10 millimeter bolt, and a plastic clip)

There was a recall to replace the sensors, but many cars were never taken back by the original owners. Putting heavy people in the car and driving up a steep hill for a while at higher RPMs should trigger the issue if you have it and let you know if you need the replacement sensor. Better to find out on a small, quiet back road with some friends than on a busy expressway with half of Scotland stuck in a traffic jam you caused behind you!
Axeboy

Thanks for the info, I'll change the sensor :)
Totally agree on the drive, it feels great, just don't look at the speedo :)
Axeboy

A few pics guys.
Car feels good. Set at 1bar it sounds great and with no issues. The BOV isn't working right, seems to be sticking to going back to normal recirc. Paintwork sorted and no major issues.
Lots of wee things on the todo list, but all good :)

Brayden

Out of curiosity, have you found much rust in the body?