Questions about buying a SC100/Cervo/SS20 etc.

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
jerminator96

Hey all,

I just found this forum whilst looking for information on a car I walk by every day. It appears to be a SC100, though I live in Guatemala so I can't be sure which export country it originally went to, I would guess it could be English based on our proximity to Belize.

I'm not sure this is the right place, since Cervo seems to mainly refer to the SS40, but I thought I should ask for suggestions on what to look for when I approach the owner to buy this car.

I don't care much about how it runs, though if there are common mechanical problems that may aid my negotiations. I'm mainly concerned about common rust areas, or problems that should be avoided at all cost.

It looks like a fun little car, but more than that it looks like it could use a nice little liter-bike engine to wake it up a bit.

Any tips would be appreciated. The mightyboy looks awesome, btw. I'm afraid all we get here in Guatemala is the Suzuki Every and Carry vans (panelitas, we call them), along with the normal viteras and samurais.
edm418

Hey :)

check carefully for rust under the bottom edge of the rear window, door sills, suspension mounts, radiator mounting points and in the skin of the roof where it joins the door (take the chrome strips off)

Have a look at my posts (SC100 bastardisation project) and you will see shots of rust in the sills.

you are right about the bike engine conversion, be careful though, you could make it lethal :) mine has a cappuccino turbo in it and at 64 HP its more than enough fun!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
jerminator96

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I saw your thread, that's actually what prompted my concern for rust.

I'm having trouble contacting the owner at the moment, so it might be a moot point anyway, but I'm not worried about the extra power.

Not my first rodeo:

That's 180hp in a 1200lb aluminum chassis I built in my garage. Though unfortunately, since moving to Guatemala my abilities have been somewhat lessened, so I'm looking for an existing lightweight chassis.

The SC100 seems to fit the bill.