Greetings from the USA

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
GREENKIRBY21

Hello :)

I recently imported a 1988 Suzuki Alto Works RSR from Japan to the USA! (that's not me in the picture lol)

A lot of the information I have, such as the owners manual, is in Japanese of course :D.

The car has 80,000 km on it. I'm trying to learn more about the engine, so any references would be much appreciated!

Where do you normally buy parts from?

At least to start off with, I would like to perform the basics such as an oil change. I know it has the F5A engine, is there a submodel for the engine?

When I received the car, it hasn't been turned on for about a month or so. The car came pretty low on gas. I haven't driven it too much since I am still doing checks on it, but the exhaust smells pretty badly of gasoline, and the car runs a bit rough on idle. Would adding fuel cleaner help?

Thanks!! I've been learning a lot from this forum, it seems to be the place to be :D
Brayden

Welcome. That's a pretty neat Alto you have!
In my experience fuel cleaner is a waste of time. Much better to change the fuel filter. If it is clogged then it could point to rust or other contaminants in the tank. If that's the case then a full flush and injector cleaning is the answer.

FYI the engine model is F5A, but there are many variants that aren't clearly distinguished. Your particular motor is usually referred to as an F5A DOHC to differentiate from the non-turbo SOHC version. For servicing you're in luck, because the fluids and oil filter are the same as used on the Suzuki Samurai.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.