HA22s Air Filter Pipework

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
Axeboy

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice with regards to the restrictive airflow on the little also. The air flow comes in from a tiny little inlet at the bottom right of this pic and seems to have a wild time before getting to the Turbo :)
So I was looking for some advice on this, this cant be good? Must be super restrictive. So, first of all I remove the first set of pipes so it starts at the airbox inlet. But I was thinking of two things:

1. A cone where the airbox connects
2. A cone but move it to the left hand side closer to the turbo
One issue I have is that there is a second pipe entering/leaving the airbox currently, from what I can see of K6A cone filter kits, that pipe isn't there, so any ideas what I do with it? Wee pic of the pipe here:

Advice appreciated guys :) If I am wasting my time on this, let me know :p
Brayden

The pickup point for the intake will be at the front of the car where it gets cool air. Putting a cone/pod filter in the engine bay will just suck in hot air and reduce performance. Mighty Car Mods proved it a few years ago. Standard intake systems are only restrictive if you're making huge power. Just make sure the standard filter is clean and you're good to go.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Axeboy

Thanks Brayden
The pickup is tiny, so I removed the inlet which was only a short distance from the airbox entry...  pic here, its tiiiiiiiny:

So, I think based on your advice I'll keep the airbox but just widen the entry point?
Brayden

The intake entry only needs to be as wide as the inlet on the turbo, and on a standard RHB31 that's about 38mm.
Axeboy

Nice one Brayden, that's really helpful, many thanks
Brayden

One thing that will improve performance is ditching the top mount intercooler for a front mount.
You might even have enough space to move the top mount to the front somewhere. The right location will reduce heat soak and intake temps. My front mount dropped intake temps by 40%.
Axeboy

Yeah, agreed. the current intercooler sits pretty much around the intake pipework so the easiest way would be to change the intake pipework for a more direct route which then allows for a bigger top mount.

I think its likely easier to just go front mount from the outset though
Brayden

The size of the cooler isn't the issue, its the position. Any top mount suffers the same problem - it sits in the hottest part of the engine bay, on top of the motor and exhaust.
DANGO_MASTA

Can confirm. Air filter does SFA for power, general consensus in Japan seems to be that unless you up the turbo both exhaust and intake do very little. A pod does make very funny sounds though, adds extra fury to your car while going exactly as slow. I found a tiny pod at up garage for 500 yen and threw it on for a giggle(thus the terrible location job). makes hektic suction sounds up to 4k rpm and flutters on lift. But when I get tired of that the OEM box is going back on.
Attachments
1478053463156.jpg