No power to fuel pump

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
tommyboy

Hi all,

I have a suzuki alto works rsr 87 model. Tried to start the old girl up today to find the fuel pump not working. Doesnt seem to have power when ignition is on. Car started fine a few months ago and the fuel pump is new. Does anyone know the location of the fuel pump fuse or relay if it has one. Checked the fuse box and cant see it.

Regards,

Tom
Brayden

If there's no separate fuse box in the engine bay the the pumps are likely fused to the ignition. If that fuse is okay then the problem might be the crank angle sensor or a fault with the ECU.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
tommyboy

Hey Brayden,

The car turns over and everything else works fine. Usually when you put the ignition on you hear the fuel pump run and pressurise the system. At the moment it doesn't run at all. I've checked the plug on the pump with a test light and have no power there when the ignition is turned on. The fuse box is under the drivers right knee but has no fuel pump slot, It does have a IG-COIL METER slot but that fuse is fine. There is also a big square chunky 3 pin relay/fuse next to the fuse box but its not labelled what it is. Do you think that is it?

Cheers for your time and help mate

Tom
Brayden

The 3 pin plug could be a diagnostics port. I'd be looking at the crank angle sensor. In most EFI setups there's a failsafe that disables the pump if there's no signal from the CAS. It is designed to prevent fuel being sprayed if you have an accident.

Easiest way to test is to pull a plug lead off while you're cranking and check for spark. No spark = dud CAS.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.