G15A DOHC into a SK410 (Taking my sweet ass time)

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
stevenkelby

I just want to offer encouragement, I'm watching this thread :)

Looking forward to seeing the finished beast!

Steve
Nehemiah

Thanks a lot! Ive come too far to back out now!

Sorry about the camera phone pics, its all I have atm.

Here you can see the upper mount that is attached to the fuel rail mounts, the block has another two mounts attached to it so the whole setup can support the engine and trans.
You can also see how far back the engine has to sit. This is for a few reasons...
As you move backwards in the car the chassis rails get wider, allowing more clearance for the head. This is necessary in order to align the center of the flywheel with the diff and to get the engine as high as possible.
You can also see the thermofan that Ive decided to use in place of the F10A engine driven fan.

This shows the cardboard templates that I use to transfer the bolt hole location of the gearbox and engine on to a computer.

A word of warning to anyone that wants to do this conversion: use a G13B block!. They are shorter in deck height (more ground clearance) and best of all the gearbox bolts right up to it... No adapter plate!

Thanks, all.
Sam.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
Brayden

Sam, the option to an adaptor plate is to modify the bellhousing of the gearbox. Plenty of Swift guys do that with their GTi's when they switch to a 1600 gearbox.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Nehemiah

Yeh, the thought had crossed my mind. Really if I busted the box I could change out the gears and retain the modified bell housing...

The biggest issue is that the starter that matches the carry van flywheel is mounted right on the lip of the bell housing and retaining that location would be difficult.

hmmmm.....
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
Nehemiah

Trans went on to test the angle of the block.
Its a little rolled to one side, so the sump will have to come up a little more...

The fuel tank has no chance of fitting back into the original location, and the battery box will have to be modified.

Playing with ideas for the fuel system..
I think the best bet is to mount the stock tank behind the diff. I want to avoid having an external surge tank (dont really want two noisy external pumps) so the idea is to modify the fuel level mount to take an in-tank EFI pump and remove the old carby pickup.
OR
Replace the carby pump with an external EFI pump. Im worried about the pumps ability to lift the fuel from the tank though.... might have to play around with the tank and a spare pump.

Im going to have to track down some new linkages for the box, a clutch cable and a accelerator cable...

The saga continues!

Sam.
Nehemiah

I fiddled with the engine tilt and tack welded the temp mounts to the body to hold it all in place while I build the actual mounts. The motor ended up laying over quite a bit more so now the bottom of the sump sits higher than the steering setup (Yay for ground clearance!).

Went to sprint auto and they got in a G13BB clutch kit for me, so now that's sorted. Also went to U-Pull-It to track down a longer set of gear linkages, an accelerator cable and a clutch cable. I think Ive found a donor for the gear linkages and the accelerator cable finding a 2m clutch cable with the right ends on it proved to be a little harder... a car out there must have one!

With a bit of cursing the fuel tank ended up going back into its stock location (with two custom mounts). On the fuel front I'm going with an external VL style bosh pump (10mm in, 8mm out) fed from a 1.5L surge tank, with the old carby pump on lifting duties.

That's it for now!
Sam.
hongster

just to add if you didnt know vl fuel pumps are the same in the old camiras same bosh part number and everything.. give it a go "take one from you pull it my mate runs one in his turbo'd gti in a sierra
Nehemiah

Cheers mate
Something to keep in mind!
Nehemiah

I'll have an update on monday afternoon

Cheers,
Sam.
Nehemiah

kk, so the update is a little late...

Inlet with Nissan R31 TB in place.

Inlet matched to the TB.
The Swift TPS will be easy to implement, just need to buy two bolts.

With the 910mm belt in place the ALT will clear everything.
I'm having a tension bracket laser cut with the engine mounts.

Shot from under the car shows the surge tank and location for the EFI pump (just behind the passenger side front wheel).

I plan on boxing this up to keep it safe, along with the air filter and an under tray to keep unwanted bits out of the timing belt (2mm aluminum).

Its going to be a really short tail shaft!

Section removed for gear linkage clearance... May yet rebuild the whole thing out of aluminum

Cheers,
Sam.
tjb

Wow, keep on coming with the excellent progress! :-o

It's always a good inspiration to see someone's creativity being transformed into reality. Great work :D
Nehemiah

Ahhh the journey continues!

Cheers for the reply. It sure is fun building something you’ve had planned for a while!

Few things on the go at the moment… Number one is that the sump is having a box section welded into it to clear the 5 mains bearing cap on the g15a bottom end. Secondly the intake is finally being welded to the flange I had laser cut (seems like years ago!).

The welding is being done by a boat builder in Pt. Adelaide, and it’s one of those “I can do it cheap but I don’t know when it’ll be done” jobs. I’m hoping to see them both mid next week (fingers crossed!).

I’ve more or less finished the fuel system now. With all the new fuel lines ran, new low pressure pump fitted, tank moved 20mm backward (so close to fitting! Arrrrg!) and the VL high pressure unit mounted. The good news is that I should have enough fuel to power 3 of my motors…

Anyway... I picked up a few bits to try my hand at making extractors for the van. I figure that if I can get the collector in the right location the rest of the system will be straight tube! The plan is to sand bend the tubes with an oxy… We’ll see how that goes…

I ended up making a battery box from scratch, well now I know it won’t rust out!

That’s it for now.
Sam.
Nehemiah

Welding done....

Looks good... Bit pricey though...

Fitted everything and playing around with the intake.

The next problem will be the fuel rail clearance... *sigh*

Would have been simpler and cheaper to fit a rotary :lol: !

Thanks all,
Sam.

straight LPG will solve alot of issues and provide at least 200kw max with impco 225
I know of a corolla 1.5 ohv making 140kw atw.
ToranaGuy

8 wrote:straight LPG will solve alot of issues and provide at least 200kw max with impco 225
I know of a corolla 1.5 ohv making 140kw atw.
Yeah it could have been cheaper, but then again maybe not. I wouldn't use a impco 225 for a project like this, i'd be using a Gas Research carby. I have a 440cfm TB i'm fitting to my Turbo Torana.

Anyway, it's a very exciting project and i can't wait to read about it running!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|