G15A DOHC into a SK410 (Taking my sweet ass time)

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Nehemiah

Hi,
Im Sam from Adelaide and Ive just brought a clean 1988 Suzuki Super Carry Van.
The van suffered from over heating issues and so im in the process of fixing that.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and Ill whack up some shots of it later.
Cheers, Sam
Last edited by Nehemiah on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brayden

Welcome Sam, glad to see another van owner on board. :)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Nehemiah

Yeh cheers!

Well heres the pics:

Its got no rust, no dents 100% clean.
The motor just needs a little work...

You can check out my other car here: http://www.aus12.org/index.php?showtopic=564&st=100

I saw that carry tray back on youtube... That runs the F8A with a GT12, yeh?

The head design of the F10A looks quite good... nice and strong.
How far has one of these motors been taken? Is 100hp out of the question?

Sam.
Brayden

I know a guy who is rebuilding his F10A and bolting on an SC14 supercharger with an aim of more than 100hp ATW, so nothing is out of the question. ;)
Nehemiah

Everything is back together and running very sweet!
Heres a nicer pic:

In regards to the suspention is it much the same as the mighty boy?
Im looking for some new rear dampeners and prehaps a 2 inch drop at the front and a 3 inch at the rear.

If I can just take the whole front setup from a swift and reuse my hubs or simalar that would be good.

Any ideas?

Sam.
Brayden

Rear shocks are identical to hatch/mb units, so no dramas there. The only option for the front struts is genuine Suzuki or custom sleeved rebuilds. The struts are really compact (and short), much smaller than MB units. Getting a 2" drop on the front will be tricky considering there is NO tubbed wheel arch for the wheel to push up into - so the tyres will constantly hit the underside of the body/wheel arch.
Nehemiah

Well here comes fun...

Brought one G13B off redline complete with sensors loom and computer.

The overall plan is to mate the G13B to the carry box and use the standard (possibly shorted) tail shaft to get power to the rear wheels.

I’m expecting that the engine wont fit under the front seats. Although it would be nice if I could make it work (don’t think the engine will like running on a 45 degree angle? Sump, pickup, intake…. etc) while retaining some ground clearance, I’m quite happy to cut up the floor pan behind the seats and mount the engine back there, true MR hehe!

If I did mount the engine behind the seats in sure the fuel tank would get in the way… So I’ll probably end up moving it or doing a setup as seen on http://www.jarnokalliomaki.com/

Then there is a new fuel pump and surge tank (or baffle the original tank), and a custom engine cross member and trans mount to make up.

As I’m also building a FJ20ET powered Nissan Gazelle the progress would be slow but I’m going to start with a quick re-con of the G13B.
hongster

g'day mate, yeah im in adelaide too,, im actually overseas atmo but ive got an amr300 supercharger waiting to put on my suzuki carry ute.. yes like the crazy finish one oon you tube.. i was planning for a turbo but too much hassle with oil lines and water lines ,,, so for now ill see how the s/c go's and then if not ill attemp to put a small turbo on it...
nice i do like the fj20's strong engines, i just recently sold my gtr familia.

so this is just a little project to have fun with until house and new car payments die down a bit
hongster

oh yeah one more ting to add mines the 83 model so its got drum's on the front can you check your 88 to see if it has disc's i think the discs/sus are similar to the swift of the same era so i hope to do some adjusting to convert em to discs' at the front
Nehemiah

Yeh, mine runs discs at the front... Looking at options to get discs all round with larger units on the front tho. Possibly re-drill swift discs?

That sounds like quite a project your undertaking. I haven't messed with supercharger with carby setups before, but I would imagine that they would be a bit of a pig to tune.

I think ill be happy with NA power for now... turbo it later :lol:

But really, if I end up with the engine behind the seats my tail shaft will almost be non-existent :-o. Imagine two universal joints bolted together, lol.

I get the motor on Sunday so ill see how it goes, wish me luck (ill need it!).
Brayden

Nehemiah wrote:wish me luck (ill need it!).
Bloody oath you will! :lol: A guy on Redline swapped the G13BB in his Carry for a G16B, and even that came out as a massive job, I can't imagine trying to shoehorn a G13B under your van!
I'll wait to see the result though, should be pretty special.

Oh, and feel free to set up a gallery on here to keep us updated with pics. Better than relying on imageshack/etc.
Nehemiah

Yeh I had a look at that conversion on readline when I started thinking about this project. He stated something along these lines:
"I'm not using a DOHC head because I doubt very much that it will fit into a Suzuki Carry. The stock G13 cam cover has probably about 2cm clearance to the bottom of the passenger seat (the engine is tilted over 60 degrees from vertical) so extra width will mean clearance issues here. "
That sir sounds like a challange...

Meh! ill MAKE it fit! :lol:
Nehemiah

OK, update time.

The engine has been stripped for mods and a freshen up.

This shows the angle that the motor will be at under the seats of the carry. Note that it is leaning opposite to the conventional carry engine.

This shows the G13B head with the cams removed. The blue lines indicate where a slit will be machined so that excessive amounts of oil do not stay in the rocker cover.

This image shows the back of the G13B's head. The welsh plug marked in blue will be removed and the hole tapped. A fitting will be connected directly to the sump to aid in oil removal from the head.

So will it fit? All signs point to yes! 8)

This project is gonna slow right down though as my gazelle is a priority ATM.

Sam.
Nehemiah

The engine is completely dissembled now and im buying parts for the rebuild.
New rings
New ACL bearings
Full ACL gasket kit
Gates timing belt

I'm sending the block to be decked and lightly honed, but the bores are in great condition.

The pistons are getting hot tanked, the crank will be linished and the head cleaned up. Then it'll be time to whack it all together!
Nehemiah

As you can see, I've finished the oil mods in the head. As it turns out, the head has two returns to the sump one at the front and one at the back. So no external pipe will be needed.

Sam.