G15A DOHC into a SK410 (Taking my sweet ass time)

Suzuki van tech question and answers.

The impcos work very well for turbos I know plenty of them but there is a better throttle body than the GR one its a Flat slide setup from Holland and sell for around 200usd.
You can get them thru fleebay.
ToranaGuy

8 wrote:The impcos work very well for turbos I know plenty of them but there is a better throttle body than the GR one its a Flat slide setup from Holland and sell for around 200usd.
You can get them thru fleebay.
It's hard to beat a GRA, especially if the other one costs $200usd, with exchange rate that isn't much cheaper than a GRA, and atleast you have local parts & local knowledge to tune them. GRA has a round metering rod that can be custom stepped to any config you need it.

I would be thinking the GRA easier to hookup in a blow thru turbo setup than the impco?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|

you use your factory throttle body and just add the impco in front of it with air hose and clamps easy and cheap.
ToranaGuy

8 wrote:you use your factory throttle body and just add the impco in front of it with air hose and clamps easy and cheap.
Why add extra stuff to the intake path when you can just add your TPS to the GRA tb & bolt it where your original tb was? Much better idea where space is limited.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

ToranaGuy wrote:
8 wrote:you use your factory throttle body and just add the impco in front of it with air hose and clamps easy and cheap.
Why add extra stuff to the intake path when you can just add your TPS to the GRA tb & bolt it where your original tb was? Much better idea where space is limited.
Cheers
ToranaGuy
because you can just keep your throttle body and buy a cheap impco 125 for $50 compared to 400 and an impco 125 is tiny no bigger than an air-mass sensor on a fuel injected vehicle.

Performance and economy is negligable between the two most rotary engines and other piston engines Ive come across and owned made no notable increase or difference by replacig an impco setup to a GR.
If I wanted to put money on a GRA throttle body Id rather put that money towards Vapour LPG injection kit from italy which trounces almost anything else for simplicity and performance.
Nehemiah

I haven’t thought about gas until now... Perhaps it’s worth considering...
Thanks all!

Sam.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
ToranaGuy

8 wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
Cheers
ToranaGuy
because you can just keep your throttle body and buy a cheap impco 125 for $50 compared to 400 and an impco 125 is tiny no bigger than an air-mass sensor on a fuel injected vehicle.

Performance and economy is negligable between the two most rotary engines and other piston engines Ive come across and owned made no notable increase or difference by replacig an impco setup to a GR.
If I wanted to put money on a GRA throttle body Id rather put that money towards Vapour LPG injection kit from italy which trounces almost anything else for simplicity and performance.
That's a fair call, regarding cost & economy. But the part about adding the TPS to the side of the GRA & just replacing the original TB with it is also something worth considering. Something i would be worried about, adding extra gear into the intake path, is the restriction to flow that could pose. Eg, impco 300a & needing a snorkle to fit it under the hood of most car's.

AS for the Vapour lpg injection, i'm yet to see a commercial product that will run without needing the petrol injection system( there's a kit or two in testing right now tho!) , which really sucks for the guys who like to build customized car's. I have a fair bit of tune time with one of those Italian vapor systems, i have one fit into my EB. Fit back in early 2004, it's 5 years & 200,000 kms old! But it is also an issue in relation to the limited power it supports. 200kw flywheel in a 6cyl config gives me no more play room in my EB without an extra fuel line from the tank, extra converter, regulator & injectors. Almost as bad as some factory petrol injection systems! ROFL.

Yes it's fairly simple overall. But the guys who install it need to do a good job, otherwise you will have as many issues as i have had with my EB. I've resolved all but the spark breakdown issue on lpg. Lots of new parts & tripple checking things hasn't resolved it, but i've moved the breakdown up much higher in the rev range. i've also managed to tune some of it out with a combination of afr & spark plug gap adjustment.

If i were to go down the path of lpg injection on another car, i'd be wanting some of the prins regulators, injectors & converters hooked upto a MegaSquirt. Best part is i have a MegaSquirt i am planning on fitting upto my mighty boy, so maybe i can make that a reality. A LPG Injected mighty boy? ROFLMFAO!

Sam, i realize that 8 & I are probably getting too far off topic, but i'm glad it's making you think if it's worth considering. Considering your engine is already injected opens up a few options with what hardware could be used........

Us car guys who build custom rides should really consider the taxi fuel more often with our build up's, so at least our hobby has a somewhat reduced impact on the environment!

Anyway, back to the originaly topic, what's the latest news Sam?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

an EB with 200kw is enough Id say :D
Even a mighty boy with 100kwATW I wouldnt turn down 8)

Back to the topic, If you have any further issues with clearance the sohc 16v head is so narrow compared to the twin cam you have to check them out, I have both as some speedway g series midgets are getting over 196hp at the engine at 10,500rpm with the sohc 16v and quad methanol injection on a 1070cc with scat billet crank supposedly below 60mm stroke and g13b block. Dion from Dynomite performance was the owner of one of these beasts.

Today I went to a Suzuki dealership and got under the APV, it has a similar 5 speed box to the previous g13bb carry but beefier, the exhaust would support a turbo at the end of it wihout a J pipe, the sump is pressed steel and looks the goods, the engine number is g16AID which is supposedly the Post 2000 g16a motors and the APV is made in Indonesia so parts are much cheaper now. The sump retails for 190 plus gst.
Manifolds are well designed and would easily fit under this project with space.
ToranaGuy

8 wrote:an EB with 200kw is enough Id say :D
Even a mighty boy with 100kwATW I wouldnt turn down 8)

Back to the topic, If you have any further issues with clearance the sohc 16v head is so narrow compared to the twin cam you have to check them out, I have both as some speedway g series midgets are getting over 196hp at the engine at 10,500rpm with the sohc 16v and quad methanol injection on a 1070cc with scat billet crank supposedly below 60mm stroke and g13b block. Dion from Dynomite performance was the owner of one of these beasts.

Today I went to a Suzuki dealership and got under the APV, it has a similar 5 speed box to the previous g13bb carry but beefier, the exhaust would support a turbo at the end of it wihout a J pipe, the sump is pressed steel and looks the goods, the engine number is g16AID which is supposedly the Post 2000 g16a motors and the APV is made in Indonesia so parts are much cheaper now. The sump retails for 190 plus gst.
Manifolds are well designed and would easily fit under this project with space.
A 1700kg car with 200 kw @ Flywheel isn't enough, it's only around 130 at the tyres. :oops: Now a car the size & weight of a mighty boy with 100kw @ the tyres, that is :D :-o :twisted:

Very interesting about the cyl head & manifold!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Nehemiah

Cheers for the info 8.
Like you stated, most of the performance orientated setups seem to be a heavily worked version of the SOHC head mated with the G13B block and custom internals. Its fine if you want to chase lots of power at massive RPM but my approach to this project is really more along the lines of " I wonder if I can do that" then let’s see how much power I can make. I’ve come to accept the clearance issues associated with the DOHC head and I’m just working around it. The problems that I’ve experienced were due to me buying cheap bits that came up for sale and then trying to make it all work. I would think with the shorter block and smaller mains caps (i.e.: a whole G13B motor) most of the stuffing around I’ve done could be avoided. The same could be said if I had purchased a whole G15A motor which would have the SOHC head...
As it turned out though I ended up combining the two parts of the different setups that makes the swap difficult (read: idiot). This is my first real go at making something fit where it shouldn’t so the whole thing has been a great (and expensive) leaning experience for me :lol: .

As for the ATV, I would wonder about the gear ratios of the box. I’m skeptical that even the G13BB box will have a high enough top speed without changing the diff ratio... Time will tell...
It’s interesting to hear about the manifold... I’m hoping that I can sort mine out in the coming UNI holidays and finally fire this thing up in NA form. At the moment I want it running, so I don’t feel like playing with turbo setups just yet!

I have to admit that I have not looked at EFI heavily before and I’m not really savvy with the various forms of setups. It’s possibly something to look towards as a conversion once the van is running (could improve range quite significantly!), however for the time being ill stick to PULP.

The van hasn’t seen much love since UNI went back... Having completed only half the cross member, it’s in need of some attention. Good news is the mid semester break is on its way, and that should give me a chance to get some work done!

Cheers all,
Sam.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
Nehemiah

UNI holidays are on their way round and thanks to Rudd ive ordered some much needed parts to get the engine bay closer to being finished.

Updates soon.

Cheers,
Sam.
ToranaGuy

Nehemiah wrote:UNI holidays are on their way round and thanks to Rudd ive ordered some much needed parts to get the engine bay closer to being finished.

Updates soon.

Cheers,
Sam.
Glad to hear it. I'm still deciding what to spend Rudd's handout on, but i'm sure it will be something for one of my project's in relation to my car's. Maybe gear i need to complete a EFI conversion for my mighty boy?

Can't wait to see some progress!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Nehemiah

Yep, got a bit done...
Never quite as much as I hoped for... Nevermind!

Few things to note here:
~Water air seperator to keep bubbles from forming in the head.
~Low pressure fuel pump is now mounted under the van.
~Under the drivers seat you can see the new filter location, fitted with the AFM in place.
~Cold air induction pipe (more later)
~Toyota gear linkages

Same thing diffrent angle.

Surge tank and Ign coil mounted.

You can see the section of the radiator support that ive removed to allow the pipe to pass onto the "cold" side of the radiator.

Another shot of the air intake system.

The crossmember is tacked together and im waiting on some more wire and gas for my MIG. Just really keen to have the motor being supported by a proper crossmember so I can start modifying the top brace for clearance.

Fitted a remote oil filter kit I had laying around to fix up the issues I was having with crossmember clearance.

Basicly still heaps of work to do but its coming along...

Cheers,
Sam.
ToranaGuy

Nice progress dude, keep it up!

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Nehemiah

Test fit of the dash... Not bad considering it came out of a different car!
More or less for the integrated tacho, while keeping a stockish appearance...

Not 100% sure on the Speedo though... possibly a picaxe microcontroller that will output to a stepper motor to control the needle, while receiving tail shaft revolutions from the hall effect sensor in the gearbox... Something to have a think about...

Here’s the cross member I was making when I ran out of wire
Ways to go but getting there...

Cheers for the reply!
Sam.