brake conversion, and st90 workshop manual coming soon

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
havabeer

hi everyone,

i'm looking to do a front drum to disc conversion. i'll HOPEFULLY have a van that already has the entire setup. my problems/questions is the fact that my carry is an ST90 (came with 800cc and 4 drum brakes) and the car i'm pinching the bits off is an sk410 (1ltr)

has anyone actually attempted this conversion?

the only reason i want to go this route is getting the van for a steal price and the brake system is brand new almost and my drums aren't in the best working condition.

cheers

also be sure to check back here as i'll be getting my hands on a genuine st90 workshop manual which i'll gladly scan and post up.
nawti

any updates on this mate?
nawti

for anyone interested i have almost done the disc brake conversion for my st90, i used the super carry struts with modified (backyard style) st90 top mounts to correct camber adjusted the tie rods and looks all good, the booster was a bit tricky but i used the whole assembly from the super carry and drilled a hole down the bottom as the super carry has two bolts from the sides but mine has one single stud with a nut central,i then put the dash in and used some wire to temp hold everything in place, the assembley didnt look quite centre to the steering shaft and needed shift to the drivers side 5-10mm but was hitting the light recesses so i took the body mounting brakckets off and ground a lip of the assembley and made up some new brackets and butt it hard against it, I drilled and ran a bolt through the recess. the st90 steering column needs to be used so i cut the brackets off both columns and mounted it in place and tack welded the new brackets on, thats pretty much as far as i have got hope this can be of some use to somebody.

cheers
tebz

Hi There

Could you please post up the workshop manual. I need to fix up my st90, it's got a lot of problems. Mechanics are quoting me ridiculous prices.

Thanx.
Tebz.
Gorebags

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on a ST90 workshop manual? Also Nawti how hard was the brake conversion, I'm looking at doing this to my ST90.
If anyone has any helpful tips on this or know of some write ups on this conversion can you please help me out.

Cheers, Michael.
nawti

i have a workshop manual, a friend got it from a online uk bookstore took ages to arrive, i haven`t completed the conversion 100% as it is currently in the process of getting painted i just mocked everything up, it isnt all that hard but it isnt exactly easy either, hardest part is mounting the booster setup in the car and getting it to clear the dash (watch for brake lines get very close to the cluster) and also the strut tops.

heres a quick list of what needs modifying

-strut tops ( bit tricky )
-the caliper brake hose to steel brake line bracket needs to opened up to fit bigger hose/clip
-brake lines from distribution to master
-st90 steering column brackets need to be cut off and then newer coulmn brackets welded on
-fit the whole pedal assembley/booster (bit of cutting and fab new upper bracket to bolt to oold mounting position)
-booster line from engine
-fuse box mounting point
-brake light switch wiring( or change the switch)

hopefully i can actually get it all working! disc brakes are work so good in the sk410`s, if you really want to do it i could temp mock it up and take some snaps to give better idea of what i have done.
Gorebags

Nawti, pics would be a great. Sounds like this could be a bit of fun doing this conversion haha.
I'm still new the wonders of Carry ownership, but have spent the last 3 months fixing up and painting a ST90. After taking it for a drive around I found the brakes are in need a upgrade.
I know a guy with 3 sk410's and he seems keen to give me a hand giving this brake conversion a shot, but we aren't 100% sure where to start. So any help would be awesome.
havabeer

just to let everyone know that after a year of making a promise i've finally scanned the manaul and i'll upload it this arvo when i get home
j-six

heya.

just had my carry van upgraded to hydroboost. thankfully we got a lot of JDM surplus carry van parts here LOL :)

Really helped a lot in braking. But yeah still need to convert to discs in the front. Mine's all stock all drums. Unfortunately due to brake bias issues i crashed and rear ended a vehicle. luckily survived.
[img]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/cjjayson/jsix_banner.gif[/img]
inc6gnito

I was waiting for the photos :(
nawti

slimer

I'm looking at doing this conversion, do you have any more photos at all?