Kei's 2001 Carry ute

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
oldvanman

Kei wrote:Good suggestions oldvanman.

Do you know if the ignis dash will pop right in? Mine is pretty shit so I'm pretty clean to replace it.

My wish has come true. I have found a 2004 Carry Ute locally with 47Ks and in excellent Condition. It has been sitting in a shed and is a genuine barnyard find.

You just plug the tacho dash out of an Ignis, Jimny or Cruze. They fit straight into the Carry. All the wires are already there. All guages and lights work. It is an easy swap.

Here is a picture of a Cruze dash in a Carry...
Once a 2%er, always a 2%er. (old vanners know what I mean)
HEMI426

Hi
Just how simple is that conversion for the dash? I have just aquired a 2000 carry myself..
What models would suit also?
Cheers
oldvanman

HEMI426 wrote:Hi
Just how simple is that conversion for the dash? I have just aquired a 2000 carry myself..
What models would suit also?
Cheers
G'day

Welcome to the fold.
Is your Carry a van or truck?
You will need a screwdriver and about 10 minutes of spare time to do the conversion.
Take out the ash tray, a few screws, and the the cover comes off. 4 screws and the dash comes out. 2 plugs to disconnect.
Any Ignis, Jimny, or YG Holden Cruze about 2000 will fit. The prices are generally $35 to $50 for a dash.

There is a heap of things you can do to upgrade the van...
Bigger alternator out of a Baleno fits straight in.
Baleno 1600 motor nearly fits straight in.
K-Mac sell a rear bar for the 2004 Carry Van at $265. They also sell an uprated front bar.
Suzisport sell a unit to fit inside the existing Diff Carrier to give a LSD operation at $ 595.00.
Jimny front diff centre fits in and is available in 2 lower ratios, 4.1:1 and 3.9:1 instead of 4.3:1.
Electric Power Steering, body kits, and the list goes on...

I just replaced the exhaust from the cat back with a larger system. A hot dog just behind the cat and a sports muffler at the back. It has a subdued growl. It goes heaps faster and gets better fuel economy.

I would recommend downloading a copy of the full service manual made available courtesy of Chills at suzuki4u...
Carry Van - Full Service Manual for free download...
http://suzuki4u.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6616
It covers the Carry Van and Ute(NOT Supercarry) GA413. It includes additional supplements for the 4WD versions along with full wiring diagrams! Its zipped and includes the covers, just in case you wanted to print them out and have it looking all pretty.

If you have some spare time, have a look through the posts at suzuki4u. There are some nice modded vans there to give you plenty of ideas.

Regards
HEMI426

HI Oldvanman
Thanks for the info! Great stuff
Its a van.
I mainly am interested in what other cars I can salvage bits off since there doesn't seem to be many of these about (that I have found yet) :? Not after anything wild really, just to have options for obtaining parts (not from $uzkui)..
Haha yep I have already got the manual :thumbup1:
I also want to upgrade the exhaust - seems a bit strangled to me, which is not surprising.
Any other tips am happy to hear

To the OP: nice work!

Thanks again
oldvanman

HEMI426 wrote:HI Oldvanman
Thanks for the info! Great stuff
Its a van.
I mainly am interested in what other cars I can salvage bits off since there doesn't seem to be many of these about (that I have found yet) :? Not after anything wild really, just to have options for obtaining parts (not from $uzkui)..
Google for Changan Star 6350.
It is the most popular Chinese knock off. 95% of parts are a direct fit.
eg
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0616172834
oldvanman

G'day Kei

Sorry for hijacking your posts.
I am looking forward to reports of your progress.

Regards
Kei

No worries mate.

Very interesting info you've posted, probably deserves its own thread to get more visibility.

I have a few more things happening with mine atm, pictures to follow soon. Looking forward to your thread, I'm sure it'll be impressive.
oldvanman

Kei wrote:
I also put on two new taillight lenses as one was cracked. Sourced from: http://www.minitruck.ca - really slow delivery, but they're legit.
Both of the lenses on my new ute are cracked.
Are these the lenses?
http://minitruck.ca/mini-truck-parts/su ... ight-lense
Kei

Whelp, my car has lost a cylinder.

I don't really have the skills or knowledge to do big engine work myself, but I'm keen to get the little guy fixed, but better.

Are there any easy engine swaps my mechanic could do, or as I'm currently leaning, would it be easier and cooler to rebuild it with a turbo?
oldvanman

G'day

I have been down both engine swap and turbo.

The turbo setup will have to be custom made with time and money needed to get it running properly.
The G16B will give you plenty of grunt. Late model Baleno motors are easy to get.

The G16B engine swap is the easiest and cheapest...
http://www.teammightyboy.com/forum/view ... rry#p49108
http://redlinegti.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... g16B+carry
http://www.bedfordrascal.co.uk/g16b_1.htm

also a useful forum thread about replacing a G13B with a G16B in a Jimny...
http://www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum ... jimny-g16b#
Kei

Thanks old man.

That redlinegti thread makes it sound like a nightmare, but the bedford rascal page sounds much more promising.

I'll have to have a think about it. For purely vanity reasons I'd love to have a turbo awd carry. I'll let you guys know what the quotes come in at so you can have a good laugh.
Brayden

There's no question that bang for buck, a turbo G13BB is the way to go. Even on a conservative tune you'll nearly double the power you'd get from a G16B, and create buckets more torque.

The manifold will likely be a challenge, but tuning is really simple with the right ECU. Once set up, the new Adaptronic or Haltech units will literally tune themselves as you drive.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Kei

My Carry is still kicking along.

I had some delays with my mechanic so I took it back. Off to a dedicated turbo place this week for some real work.

I won't even bother telling you what this is going to cost, probably twice the value of the car. Anyhoo, I also have jumped on the bandwagon to replace the dash. I think I win for the shittiest before photo!

before-after.jpg
Kei

Timber has aged and been oiled now. The colour came up exactly how I wanted it.
WP_20150907_020.jpg
WP_20150907_024.jpg
Brayden

I'm trying to convince a mate to boost his Carry ute, but he's afraid of smashing something in the driveline and not being able to find parts. Personally I think he's being soft, so I'm very interested to see/hear how yours turns out.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.