1986 Super Carry F10A Overcharging

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
soapdroid

Hello everyone, as the title suggests, I have a 1986 Super Carry and the alternator is overcharging. I first noticed when the van blew a battery. I replaced the battery and tested the alternator. It was putting out 18 volts! I rang Super Cheap Auto, and asked them about the alternator. They told me that the voltage regulator was built in, so I ordered a new alternator.

When it arrived, I found that the alternator which was in the van previously was not original, someone had installed a Nissan forklift alternator in the original's place. It took me a few tries, but I eventually got everything wired up and working, only to find that the new alternator is still putting out 18 volts. I did a bit of Googling, and it appears that the voltage regulator is external...? There is no voltage regulator in the car currently, and I can't find anyone who can tell me which one will fit.

My question for you is whether I can just go to a junkyard and install any voltage regulator into the van. Am I missing something else? I love this van, and I actually live in it. It's a camper conversion and it's just the right size for me (I'm 6'1"). I don't really have the funds to take this to an auto electrician, and I'm usually very good at trouble shooting problems like this. Thanks in advance for any help!
rf4burns

If you are sure it has no regulator get one -Try Ebay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/alternator-regulator or http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0 - or go to the wreckers
Get with it ,Get over it ,Get on with it .....OR LEAVE
soapdroid

Cheers mate, just to verify, any regulator will work?
Brayden

The alternator on an SK410 has an inbuilt voltage regulator. If the regulator (or alternator) is faulty then the charge light on the dashboard will illuminate.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
soapdroid

What else could be causing it to put out 18volts?
rf4burns

You mention that you have replaced the alternator with another for supercheap is it wired up correctly?
Get with it ,Get over it ,Get on with it .....OR LEAVE
soapdroid

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I have been overseas for the past year and I'm just getting back to my van! Here's what my replacement alternator looks like. It's not original, but was ordered from Burson Super Cheap Auto as a direct replacement.

Previously these were wired individually (and it was overcharging), but I have sourced the original factory terminals. Two of the plugs on the terminal are labeled "F" and one is labeled "N":

and I'm connecting the power terminal that was connected to the old battery at the terminal labeled "B":

When I hook everything up and turn the key, the fuse blows every time. Any ideas?
soapdroid

After some tinkering, I found the black and white wires going to the terminal plug were reversed somehow. The alternator is now charging, putting out the proper voltage, and not blowing any fuses! If I can solve the rest of my problems now, I'll be doing excellent! 
Brayden

Glad to hear you solved the problem.  :thumbup1:
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.