Newbie ..supercarry and I'm going turbo !!!

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Leggy

Hello all I have a 1990 hi top super owned for several months had a hijet :/ previously... Loving the sites and you tube vids
And before anyone asks yes I will be going 13 b turbo early next year !! I've been gathering info for a few months now . BUT can't seem to find on web any picture evidence of stock to go go go all threads seem to just dissipate after fitting any help on full conventions would be grateful..
Also just like to say fabulous site with lots of helpful topics also for the record I'm based in Wa
Good to be apart of something big (i mean small) :)
Brayden

I've never seen or heard of a 13B rotary conversion being completed. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen evidence of anyone starting a conversion, just lots of talk. So you'll be a pioneer on this project!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
TurboKat

Lots of pros & cons with a Rotary transplant, I've seen one with a 13B turbo in South Oz & all I could think of was that it was just too much power for a Carry :crazy: - fine if you only want to dragrace it but I reckon punting it around a twisty road could get... interesting on the primitive standard brakes & suspension. :-o :(
I never thought I'd ever say a car had too much power but I think a N/A 12A with a big extend port & 4 motorcycle carbs would be about perfect for a Carry. :thumbup2:
Leggy

Yep slowly loosing hope with the convertion as too little is known about it .. I've been reading the 12a is a smaller size engine
And maybe a better fit :) I'll have to do some more reading about it .. I also see that you can bolt a supercharger to the f10a engine .. Now this might be another starting point ...?
djlp

Brayden wrote:I've never seen or heard of a 13B rotary conversion being completed. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen evidence of anyone starting a conversion, just lots of talk. So you'll be a pioneer on this project!
As far as I know, it has been done before! See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZN_3Sf0F4

Like TurboKat say's, it could be to much power for a little carry :lol:
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't build it :thumbup1:
Brayden

Sorry, I should have clarified that I have never seen a street legal 13B conversion attempted. Of course if you never plan on registering it then your imagination is only limited by how much cutting you want to do! (As evidenced by the Carry van with a 350 Chev shoehorned under it.)
Leggy

Yep you right .. I was prob getting carried away with some of the vids on you tube lol
I need it registered so must be street legal .. I see so many options engine wise but still out of all the home mechanic attempts I don't see a finished product that everyone is doing ..
Let me go back to basics .. Use the f10a engine and get some extra zip what would be the best upgrades that are more a simpler affair .. I see super chargers with Su carbs seem doable but will that stand alone give the carry a much needed pep .. Or is there a better way .. Any help would really be appreciated...
Brayden

Bang for buck I think the best option is the running gear from a late model Carry or APV. Either will double the standard power output of a SuperCarry and give excellent reliability. If that's not enough then add a turbo onto the conversion. Space in the engine bay will be your biggest enemy.

Turbocharging/supercharging the standard motor is also possible, although there's no way I'd dick around with a carby setup. Convert to EFI (even just single point injection) and electronic ignition. So much easier to tune and make reliable power. Thinking outside the square you could import an turbo F6A from a Suzuki Every, which in theory will bolt up to the original driveline. Turn up the boost a notch and you'll have close to double the power of a standard F10A.

Rotary conversions make sense due to their small size, but I reckon engineering would be a big headache.
Leggy

Thank you for your help
Would the twin cam turbo also be an almost direct replacement like the sohc turbo ?
Regards
Brayden

The DOHC isn't designed to run on the angle required to install in a Carry, so it would require a modified sump, oil pickup and maybe some oil gallery work. SOHC turbo (specifically from a Carry) is already configured for the slant angle.
Leggy

Hey brayden
Thanks for your input ok so I'll have to keep eyes open for sohc :) know of anyone that has a complete unit ?
Also back on the lower spring thing I've tried several companies but none of them offer the service to recreate or re sit the original items .. Now in your knowledge shall I just go for the swift springs or shall I cut my originals what would be the
Difference as I guess you have toyed with both ?
Regards leggy
Brayden

I tried cutting the stock springs before I bought the Swift springs, and it was horrible to drive. The Swift springs aren't perfect, but they are a better alternative than cutting.
Leggy

Thanks for that
Suzuki swift springs #tick ..
tycoonmonkey

Hey I know it was 9 months ago now but I am in a similar situation and very interested in finding out what luck you had and what you ended up going for? Cheers