Petrol gushing from front of Carbie.

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
Snow Carry

Hi all, I finally got my 89 Super Carry started but it cuts out straight away and then petrol starts gushing out of the front of the carbie. At this point I turn the key off because I can here the electric fuel pump still running.
I disconnected the wiring harness to the fuel pump and then I can start the car no problem. It idles for about 5 mins and then stalls. If I rev it while it's idling it lasts less than 5 mins before it stalls. I then have to reconnect the electric fuel pump before I can start it again at which point fuel gushes out the front of the carbie and the whole cycle repeats itself.
I'm guessing whatever controls the electric fuel pump isn't working. I also have no brakes (except handbrake) and when I pump the brake pedal it makes the idle stutter a bit. All help appreciated and much needed.
Brayden

Fuel problem is likely to be one of 3 things:
1. Fuel float is damaged or incorrectly adjusted.
2. Needle and seat are dirty/worn.
3. Fuel pump is supplying too much pressure.

First two issues require the carby to be disassembled and inspected/rebuilt.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Snow Carry

I've been doing plenty of reading and it points to the 3 things you're talking about. I've pulled the carb back out this morning to inspect the float and needle/seat. They could do with a polish but the needle seems to move freely enough in the seat.

With the way it gushes out the front of the carb I'm thinking there should be a regulator for the electric in line pump? Do you think it's in the electric pump or maybe the diaphragm in the pump is stuffed?

I've now pulled the electric pump out and taken it apart. The rubber diaphragm inside is still intact. I'm not sure what else I should be looking for inside it? Is there something that regulates how fast the pump runs or how long it runs for? If the float looks fine and the float needle seats properly but the pump continues to run (I can hear it pumping away continuously once the car is idling). Regardless of whether I start the car or just turn the key to accessories the pump does not shut off and just floods straight out the front of the carb.
Brayden

If everything else checks out then the only other thing I can think of is that someone has installed a pump that supplies too much pressure.
It should be a HVLP pump at 3-5PSI. I have heard of people replacing the factory unit with a fuel injection pump and wondering why the carby literally pops a gasket.
Snow Carry

You just might be onto something with the pump not being right. Looking at the black cap where the wiring harness goes into the pump, there is a Mitsubishi diamond logo on it. Didn't notice it straight away because of the dirt on it.
Brayden

FYI on an earlier question, the pump will run continuously with the ignition on. Suzuki didn't install a failsafe sensor on the crank/distributor.