Is the transfer case from a 96 4wd carry van independent?

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
jerminator96

Hola and greetings from Guatemala!

Can one of you guys help me figure out if the transfer case from a 96 Suzuki Carry van (Every?) is an independent unit, integrated into the manual transmission, or relying on the transmission to form an oil seal?

I found a good deal on one for a project, but I'm not planning on using the motor or transmission, just the transfer case and front/rear diffs. Also, what's the suspension like on these? Leaf and solid axles front and rear?

I would like to know this stuff before I go check out the car. It's not too far away, but it's also in one of the most dangerous cities in Guatemala, so I'd rather not go there if it'll be a waste of time.

Thanks all.
Brayden

Without knowing the model number it's difficult to say, but on most the transfer case is integrated into the gearbox. Front suspension is macpherson strut (coil) and leaf spring on the rear.
If you want Suzuki front/rear diffs for another project then Samurai (Sierra) or Escudo (Vitara) would be better picks.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
jerminator96

Brayden wrote:Without knowing the model number it's difficult to say, but on most the transfer case is integrated into the gearbox. Front suspension is macpherson strut (coil) and leaf spring on the rear.
If you want Suzuki front/rear diffs for another project then Samurai (Sierra) or Escudo (Vitara) would be better picks.
Thanks, yeah it does appear to be integrated. So it's an independent front suspension then? I guess I just assumed it'd be a solid axle on the front.

I actually want the entire chassis, suspension, diffs, brakes, etc. My idea is to cut away most of the body, move the seating position behind the front axle, build a cage, and then drop in a liter bike engine.

I'm thinking I might be able to make an adapter for the transmission input shaft. This would have the benefit of giving me reverse (well, 6 actually) along with 30 forward ratios. :lol:
jerminator96

On a side note, does anyone know the weight of the F10A or whatever motor came in the mid-90s Carry vans? I'm guessing it won't be much different from the 180lb 1 liter I'm putting in.
Brayden

jerminator96 wrote:I actually want the entire chassis, suspension, diffs, brakes, etc.  My idea is to cut away most of the body, move the seating position behind the front axle, build a cage, and then drop in a liter bike engine.
You'd achieve the same result much easier using a Samurai/Sierra. All you'd need to do is unbolt the body from the chassis and lift it off.
You also have your choice of coil http://www2.izook.com/images/inlawjim.jpg or leaf models http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachme ... re-083.jpg

F series engines weigh about 180lb dressed.
jerminator96

Brayden wrote: You'd achieve the same result much easier using a Samurai/Sierra. All you'd need to do is unbolt the body from the chassis and lift it off.
You also have your choice of coil http://www2.izook.com/images/inlawjim.jpg or leaf models http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachme ... re-083.jpg

F series engines weigh about 180lb dressed.
Interesting, yeah there are a few cheap Samurais around here. Are they prone to frame rust at all? I wonder what they weigh with just the bare chassis, brakes, suspension, steering and axles?

The key to making a bike transmission last is keeping the weight down. I would automatically be dropping the weight of the transmission (75lbs, probably?) since the bike engine has an integrated 6 speed, and I'm guessing the body is fairly heavy. I thought Samurais were closer to 2000lbs though, where the Carry was closer to 1500lbs?
Brayden

It depends on which models you're comparing, but a GA413 4wd Carry van is almost identical weight to an SJ413 4x4 Samurai - about 2100lb.
Chassis-wise I reckon they'd be about the same weight.
jerminator96

Brayden wrote:It depends on which models you're comparing, but a GA413 4wd Carry van is almost identical weight to an SJ413 4x4 Samurai - about 2100lb.
Chassis-wise I reckon they'd be about the same weight.
Good to know. Looking at some other info I think I can strip a Samurai down to a reasonable weight. I guess I still might end up with a Carry van if I can't get a good price on a Samurai. To complicate matters I need to find one that is 25 years old or older so that I can bring it back to the US if I want.