Aarrgghh! more bits needed!

Suzuki Cappuccino tech question and answers.
edm418

Hi All, the prongs on my gas filter have snapped off when the engine was in transit.

If anyone has a spare, please PM me! thanks:)
20130817_105429_resized_1.jpg
parts_p21.jpg
grant4561

Sorry I missed this.

The gas filter is just like a tee piece really that has 2 manifold pressure take off points. One for the map sensor and the second is a spare just for servicing and checking manifold pressure. I have no idea why it has a filter in it but I dont think that you need it anyway.
You could just addaprt any fiting that will fit the manifold and has a suitably vac line take off on it.
edm418

Hey thanks for the info, so does that mean I just need to hook one side up to the map sensor and plug the other port? Ie. it doesn't mater which port goes where as long as one is blocked and the other routes to the map?

I got one from Suzuki nz btw it cost about $50
grant4561

Exactly one port goes to the MAP sensor and the other is blocked off.
It doesnt matter which one.
edm418

Sweet thanks!

When this engine was first started the mechanic said it was reaching boost pressure at idle. Would this system (vacuum tube/gas filter/map sensor) cause something like that if it wasn't complete?
Brayden

Unless the engine is idling at 4000RPM there's no way it can be producing positive manifold pressure. Sounds like the mechanic hooked up the boost gauge before the throttle body.

Vacuum leaks will cause high idle, but not what you're describing.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
edm418

Ok, thanks it'll be interesting to see if the mechanic has just been spinning me a line of bs...
Brayden

To give a bit more explanation, there are two reasons you can't have positive manifold pressure inside the plenum at idle.
1) The engine simply doesn't produce enough exhaust velocity to spool the turbo.
2) At idle the throttle plate is closed, preventing a lot of air from entering the plenum.

However, if you hook up a boost gauge to the intake before the plenum (wrong) then you might see a tiny bit of positive pressure at idle because the turbo is pushing a bit of air against the closed throttle plate.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
edm418

Fancy a trip to NZ?? :)