Mat's F8B - EFI and Turbo Conversion.

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
86BOY

Yeah I'll definitely connect it to my PC as soon as I get the dongle from a friend. Plenty of fuel pressure there, Injectors are also getting tested and cleaned to be sure its not a fuel delivery issue (even though the plugs smell like it). I'm really wanting it to come down to the injectors not supplying the fuel that it should as there is really good spark and timed accordingly to the No.1 Cyl at TDC and firing order 1-3-2.
I'll definitely get back to you about a setup comparison, to get it running to a better extent than what map it's currently set up with.
Boosted F8B Pocket Rocket.
Brayden

If the plugs are wet then it's getting fuel. If the timing is right then I'm thinking weak spark... which actually gives me a thought.
Did you remove the standard fusible link when you wired up the ECU? Before I removed that and installed a better fuse setup I had about 10v on crank.
With a complete rewire of the starter/ignition system and new terminals, it bumped up to 12v at the coil/ignitor and 11.5v measured on the MT hand controller.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
86BOY

That's a good thought! The fusible link was removed (from previous owner I think) but the rest of the ignition system is still stock. The only other thing I have changed on that circuit is the Alternator wire, which on its own circuit with fuse close to the battery. What symptoms did you have when you only had 10v when cranking? I'm amazed at the change in your voltage after a rewire!
Brayden

Symptoms were as you're describing - fuel, spark, timing but no fire. Especially from a cold start.
It was an auto elec who pointed out the problem when I was tuning. Spark was breaking down at high RPM, and a quick test showed the factory ignition/battery wiring wasn't up to the task, as it was designed around the 9V points-based setup.
86BOY

Wow that makes sense for a stock 9v setup! thanks a lot for the info Brayden, really appreciate it! Looks like i'll get the factory wiring sorted out on my next day off, fingers crossed its the problem im looking for.  :thumbup2:
86BOY

Today the injectors went back in, all turned out fine. I then ran new wires from the starter, 1 straight to a 12v Ignition source and the other to cranking power. Turned the key....... HE RUNS! Starts up and idles smooth, I thought it would run like crap but sounds great! Smells a little rich and doesn't like any throttle but it put a massive smile on my face to hear it run as well as it does, bring on the tune! Thanks again Brayden for the 9v/12v thought, I wouldn't have thought of it until you mentioned it!
Jeo

Winner! Well done man.
86BOY

Thanks Joe, was a big win indeed! Can't wait to get it tuned right and have a reliable setup.  :)
86BOY

Update time. The boy got tuned last Friday and made a whopping 30hp :lol:
The tune took much longer than expected because the stock TPS was a shitty switch type. A bracket was then made up to adapt a universal 3 pin switch which turned out to be faulty, so it was tuned on the dyno without the TPS. It hesitates when giving a quick snap of the throttle because of the fuel mix being lean but a new Sensor has been ordered and just needs to be calibrated and I should be good to go.

I ended up putting the Boy on a trailer to Hervey Bay (1.5hr drive from Bundy) and found out that their main ECU that they deal with is Adaptronic :roll:. As he was tuning the Microtech, he said there are more tweaks and advantages with an Adaptronic that the Microtech just cant do (like controlling the idle control valve). This could be an upgrade when I go down the turbo route maybe?

First drive down the back road felt good. I had no bumpers or guards on I was so pumped to see if it made much difference and 3rd gear pulls a lot harder than before, I was surprised! Can't wait to get the TPS sorted out for that better throttle response.

The last couple of days I decided to wash the dust off the Alto Works bars and get them mounted up.
IMG_4736.JPG
IMG_4735.JPG
IMG_4728.JPG
IMG_4731.JPG
IMG_4733.JPG
Front bar needs a few more mounts, hence the tape on the bumper/guard. I'll see if I can make the side skirts work too. Excuse the multiple colours, i'll be happy when its in primer at the least as It will all be changed over to my other Mighty Boy Build (coming soon).
Brayden

Sorry I didn't get those maps to you mate, I had to do some travel for work.
Microtech ECU can control many things, however you need to specify some of these when you order the ECU. Fan relay and idle valve control are standard outputs, however boost control needs to be set up from the factory. I won't argue about Adaptronic being a better ECU though - that is a fact!
The switch TPS shouldn't be a problem, it has worked fine on my setup. Ideally a non-contact TPS is a better solution.
86BOY

Brayden that is no problem at all, like I said it was only if you could get around to it. I'd imagine yours would be slightly different anyway being boosted. It was running and that's all I was happy with so the tuner could do the rest. I'd imagine he didn't like the switch type TPS and having that variable range on a 3 pin sensor was much better to tune for fueling. My ICV is a variable control and has a 'open' and 'closed' wire which is earthed by the ecu which I was told is a pain to setup. It's still attached to my manifold just in case it ever decides to be used later on.
86BOY

Small update on the Boy. Changed my Thermo Fan switch location to the top rad hose using one of those universal temp gauge adapters and had a hole drilled and tapped to suit the switch. The temp was creeping up to 100 degrees before the fan kicked in so I wanted it to switch on when it saw the temp just after the manifold, works great.
IMG_4947.JPG

Fog lights were in really bad shape and the brackets were that rusty I couldn't do anything with them, so I went for a pair of 6" Narva Driving Lights. trimmed the bar slightly to fit them and made some new brackets to mount them up. I preferred having these over a pair of fog lights anyway.
IMG_4918.JPG
IMG_4919.JPG
And found the perfect Turbo!
IMG_4874.JPG
Only kidding haha! This beauty arrived today, Garrett GT12 Turbo. I avoided the chinese built RHB31's so went with this....
IMG_4939.JPG
IMG_4942.JPG
IMG_4945.JPG
I plan to gather bits and pieces for the turbo conversion so watch this space for small updates!
Brayden

Coming together nicely.  :thumbup1:
Jellety

Nice! The boy becomes better and better! Its gonna be so much fun with the turbo on it! have you got the exhaust manifold already?
86BOY

Thanks Brayden and Jellety. The plan was to just smash the GT12 onto the stock F6A turbo manifold, but the triangular flange is slightly different (the bolt pattern is slightly out). Now I wasn't at all fussed with this because I wanted to make my own stainless manifold, so my brother had an 8mm stainless flange cut out at his work for me to build off. I really didn't like the tiny hole on the stock F6A manifold for the exhaust to come out, even though it works well on Brayden's setup.

So before I decide to tackle the manifold, I relocated the alternator to the back of the motor and used a spare alternator to mock it up. The bracket that holds the alternator is flipped upside down and trimmed slightly for the alternator to move back and forth freely. I welded this straight to the second engine steady mount after getting it placed just right in line with the other pulleys.
IMG_4959.JPG
IMG_4960.JPG
IMG_4965.JPG
IMG_4966.JPG
IMG_4967.JPG
IMG_4968.JPG
With all the room in the world at the front of the motor now, I can build my manifold to have the Turbo sit to the left, basically where the alternator was. I can run the dump pipe a nice 90 degree bend round the oil filter and to the rest of the system.

Stay tuned for the making of the Turbo manifold!