Mat's F8B - EFI and Turbo Conversion.

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
86BOY

Thanks Brayden, means a lot coming from you mate! :thumbup2:
Boosted F8B Pocket Rocket.
Brayden

86BOY wrote:Went for a quick drive to hear the spooly spooly noises (with no pipe plumbing obviously) and sounds mint! It comes on boost a little later than an RHB31 which I'm glad because I don't want to sit on just about full boost while cruising.
Just coming back to this comment. I'll be interested to see how the GT12 compares to the RHB31 when you've got it up and running. For comparison, I get about 10Hg vacuum while cruising on flat road in 4th. That's anywhere from 60-100kph. A light tap on the throttle is enough to push it into positive pressure instantly, but it doesn't make boost while cruising.
I understand why factory kei turbo setups are designed to be really responsive, but I'm interested to test out a larger turbo on the F8B (GT15 or GT17) and see how it works. As nice as it is to have instant boost, it's a bit annoying to be constantly choo-chooing in traffic. Ideally I'd like the boost to come on a bit higher in the rev range.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
86BOY

I really just assumed what cruising would be like anyway with an RHB31 (going by what it's like just free revving on your Youtube video). I'm actually surprised that it doesn't make 1-2psi just cruising for how well it spools on free revving :-o! The GT12 isn't really like that as it starts to spool a little bit later. Cruising is the same, it's not quick on Boost like the RHB, but it's still low in the rev range.
It's still not accurate without actual boost going into the motor so yes i'll definitely get some info for you after the re-tune, pity I wasn't paying attention to the Tacho to see/hear when it builds boost from 60/80/100kph :roll:
Where I live is mostly 60kph and a couple of main roads, so having it like a Kei car setup, I still wanted it to be very punchy down low which is why I stuck with a small size turbo.

86BOY

Boost pipes are now tacked up, ended up exactly where I planned on running them with such a tight space to work with. Hot side starts off at 1.5 inch and steps up to 1.75 inch to suit the intake size. I'll also make a support bracket for the pipe closest to the intake, right where a top mount Intercooler usually bolts to the Distributor housing.
IMG_5198.JPG
IMG_5202.JPG
IMG_5205.JPG
Stupid me welded the bung for the O2 sensor right where the piping is next to the Intercooler :roll: but the flange for the dump pipe was a little warped causing a slight leak anyway so the top section of the dump just above the support bracket will be re-done and the O2 put in a much better spot.

Things to sort out after the Boost pipes are welded up,
- Rising Rate FPR, as i'm running a cheapo knock off SARD one.
- Set up an oil catch can.
- Blanking plate for the top of the Manifold where the stock MAP sensor was, currently a piece of Duct tape won't do for Boost pressure! :lol:

More to come!
86BOY

New improved dump pipe is done with a thicker 8mm flange. I have left the whole edge around the flange as it was pointless going round the bolt holes and taking the same shape as the gasket (its such a pain to cut that shape and smooth it out), leaving more surface area for bolting back up to the Turbo.

Oil pressure gauge is temporary, I have a single fitting on the way so I can ditch the amount of adapters to make it work with the AN line and fittings.
IMG_5236.JPG
IMG_5252.JPG
Made a small aluminium blanking plate for the top of the manifold.
IMG_5241.JPG
Trimmed behind the bumper slightly to fit the Intercooler piping which now clears and the mounts line back up nicely.
IMG_5242.JPG
IMG_5244.JPG
Intercooler piping should also be ready to pick up from the Welding Man Sat morning.

86BOY

From what I thought was an issue with the Turbo leaking oil in the Boost side of the Compressor housing, wasn't an issue at all from what I have found out. I have read a couple of Forums on Turbo oil seals holding the oil in the cartridge when there is Boost pressure when plumbed up to the Intake fully, which mine wasn't, as it was just boosting to Atmosphere with no pressure to keep from a little bit of oil seeping out.

Piping was done on the weekend and even got a polish up! Very neat and I'm very happy with how they turned out, I even got him to back-purge the pipe so its also clean on the inside.
IMG_5259.JPG
IMG_5256.JPG
Oil Sensor is adapted using a Nitrous fitting to tidy the awful amount of adaptors I was running.
IMG_5280.JPG
Got a GFB Rising Rate Fuel Reg, mounted it up on the left engine mount/strut tower mount and used the gauge from the other regulator.
IMG_5285.JPG
I have an Oil Catch Can on the way which will go on next and also need to make some brackets for the Intercooler to mount up properly along with a bracket for the cold side of the boost pipe to mount to the motor. A re-tune is just around the corner. :)
86BOY

Intercooler mounts done, with the price of the threaded Aluminium weld-on's, I decided to drill and tap my own out of some solid round bar. Cost me less than $5 to make them up instead of $20 for pre-made ones. I would also like to get a bracket for the top of the Intercooler so there is less stress on the bottom mounts.  
IMG_5293.JPG
Smashed out a couple of mounting brackets for the Cooler on the K-frame. Went for bottom mounting as the top has the pipe running directly above the Intercooler.
IMG_5398.JPG
Got a Wastegate Boost reference point Silver Soldered on the pipe coming straight off the Turbo, didn't want to run a vac hose all the way to the intake manifold.
IMG_5439.JPG
I also used the Brake Booster port on the Manifold for another Boost/Vac port, which eliminates the 'T' fitting I had to splice in the Fuel Reg.
IMG_5437.JPG
Catch-Can is mounted and routed. I have plumbed it back into the intake along with a 90 degree silicone joiner to move the filter a bit higher to avoid water. Engine bay is looking how I want it and its the cleanest its ever looked despite this thing needing a good wash.
IMG_5428.JPG
IMG_5429.JPG
IMG_5435.JPG
86BOY

On Wednesday the Boy got its tune for Boost. The day started off towing the car trailer with my brothers Hilux until we got 2km down the road and the Gearbox blew up :roll:. Swapped over to the 'reliable' Landcruiser making it to Hervey Bay with no dramas at all.
After half a day wasted and a successful tune later, we had the little Garrett running at 5psi of Boost which made 45hp (33kw). I actually thought stock gate pressure was going to be around 7psi, so the way to more power was more BOOOOOST! A bleed valve was put on it to bump it up to 8psi, added more fuel and the final result was 56hp (41kw) and just under 70lbft of torque. I was amazed at the first on road experience and I only realized it was running at 5psi wastegate, so its going to be a lot of fun when I have it up to 8psi that's for sure!
The Tuner was very surprised with the power it made as he would expect double the power on 1 bar of Boost. It's very efficient on about 0.5 bar and very close to double the N/A power output.
Time to tidy up a few things in the engine bay and get around to a couple more support brackets for piping/hoses that I didn't get to do. Well worth the time but im not going to comment on the amount of money spent :lol:.

Also for reference Brayden on the spool time, 3rd gear pull (going by the Dyno graph) from 1500rpm it started at 1.5psi and produced full Boost (8psi) at 2900rpm. Thanks heaps for the advice you have given me throughout this build, really appreciate it!

A pic from the Dyno, nothing special but I'll see what photos/videos are on my brothers phone to put up on here too.
IMG_5481.PNG
Matty

Awesome work mate looks sweet and is making good power, makes me want to turbo my f8b or fit the g10a I have and turbo that :/ need something turbo either way ha ha
One day it will be DONE!!!
86BOY

Haha thanks Matt. It changes the drivability, even being a low boost setup, it's such a fun car and I can't get over the dose noises :lol:. Once you boost any motor it gives you that thought to do it to another. The bug is biting and I'm considering putting a snail on my G13B Sierra. Definitely going with an Adaptronic for the next ECU though, what a pain it was trying to set a few things up with the Microtech...... :roll:
Matty

Yer I've been in my mates turbo efi f8b and it goes well, around 6/7 psi and it makes sweet little sneeze noises ha ha

He is running a haltech ecu with the f6a efi in pretty sure. Jerman is his name he is on here
One day it will be DONE!!!