Angas' Mightyboy Project Log

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Tez

Yeah, nice.. :thumbup2: How's your dad getting on with #1? - Gonna be able to coax him into bringing it to Albury 2015?
Tez
So the adventure continues...
goose360

It's getting there. Slowly but surely...

I'll make sure he comes to Albury next year, no matter what he's driving :lol:
goose360

Hi everyone,

A quick update on my car -

On Christmas day my car blew the headgasket and piston rings :x
I was stuck on the freeway for 4hrs before my dad returned with a car trailer. Loading a car onto a trailer in the rain at midnight on Christmas day is quite an experience!

Since then, I've rebuilt the engine with my dad. We had the cylinders rebored and the gearbox overhauled, along with new bearings, seals, gaskets, water pump, pistons, clutch and lapped valves.

It has taken a fair bit of time and money, but today I got to drive it again for the first time and it feels amazing! :D so smooth!
I'm really happy with it, especially considering I was able to do most of it myself.
20150215_155003.jpg
Brayden

It's always nice to hear when hard work pays off. Well done mate.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
goose360

Hey everyone,

It's been quite a while since I posted any updates on my project. It has been a bit of a nightmare for the last two years  :cry:
2 months on the road, 4 months off, back on, back off...  One problem after another.
I haven't really done any "upgrade" work, it has mostly been attempting to keep it on the road. Here is what I can remember:

- We found out that the place that bored the block accidentally fitted the new piston rings upside down, so they were pumping oil into the combustion chambers. Engine was rebuilt again.
- Snapped a set of points on the freeway. One arm was completely snapped off. That was exciting...
- Trouble with carby spitting too much fuel. Carby rebuilt and fixed.
- Water was found in the fuel. The car randomly stopped running one day and it took us ages to find the problem. We drained about 3L of water out of the tank  :x Also meant fitting a new carby

I've just posted in the For Sale section that my personalised MIGHTY number plates are up for sale. http://www.teammightyboy.com/forum/view ... =16&t=8465
It's very sad to see them go, but we've decided that we'll put my Mightyboy on historic plates. It has been too unreliable to be my daily driver, not matter how much I spent on it. But my dad and I will keep working on it.

I'll try and keep this project updated when I do something other than just fixing the engine  :lol:
Hopefully within the next month or so, it will have a custom CAN bus system that I have designed for my university major project. It is still in the firmware development stage but includes sensors for temperature, ambient light, GPS, accelerometers and tachometer. I'll write up a post specifically about it soon.

[attachment=0]20170919_183757cropped.jpg[/attachment]

-Angas
Attachments
20170919_183757cropped.jpg
Brayden

That CANBUS system looks tasty!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
goose360

Thanks Brayden!

I'm currently in my last semester of an Electrical Engineering degree and got to choose my own topic for my final project. The goal of my project is to create a CAN bus system that can be retro-fitted into older vehicles. It was inspired by wanting some modern features in my Mightyboy. It is a networked system of nodes that each contain a CAN interface, a micro USB for configuration and sensors or output devices. Over the next week or so, I'll do a post about each node. Feel free to ask any questions.
N001_1.jpg
Node 001: Engine Electrics
The first node contains sensors to monitor battery voltage, engine RPM and a fuel flow sensor. The battery voltage sensor was chosen because it is simple to implement and test, RPM is always useful to see while driving and the fuel flow meter was included with the intention of calculating fuel economy later on. Unfortunately, the fuel flow meters are really expensive, so I don't actually have one to install.
The battery voltage is measured through a voltage divider, directly into the Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) module on the microcontroller.
Both the RPM and fuel flow inputs are measured by a pulse width timer that calculates the frequency of the input and converts it to a usable value.
Bench testing shows that all three sensors work really well and are reasonably accurate. I'll be testing it installed in a car this week.
This particular node also got a case to demonstrate how the final product could look. The design on top was laser etched. To give a sense of scale, the unit is 80mm x 54mm.
I'm really happy with how this has all turned out.
N001_enclosure_1.jpg
N001_enclosure_2.jpg
-Angas
Zuffen

Angas,

You may have a potential customer here.

We are fitting a Chery dash into a Daewoo dash that in turn is fitted to a Mighty Boy.

The Chery dash looks like it is looking for C/B info for temp and fuel gauges.

I'm following with interest.

Could you calculate fuel economy off the injector pulse width and then correlate it to the VSS?

Good thing is I'm located in Sydney.
goose360

Hey Zuffen,
That sounds like a cool project!

Although none of my nodes are currently designed specifically for the temp and fuel gauges, it probably wouldn't be difficult to modify one to suit.
As long as we could find the correct CAN message IDs and the data format, it might work.

I suppose that using the injector pulse width could work, if you knew the exact specifications of the injectors. I am certainly no expert though and have never researched it.

Maybe we can look into it once I am free from uni. I still have to get the massive report finished and give a presentation/demonstration.

-Angas
Zuffen

Good luck with it.
goose360

N002_3.jpg
N002 - Display Node
This node is a small LCD to display all the measurements from the sensors on the other nodes. It is a 128x64 monochrome display with white LED backlighting.
When it receives a new CAN messages, it formats the data and displays it on the relevant part of the screen. The formatting is really basic, but it is enough to demonstrate that the system works.
The time is displayed in the top  right hand corner. Currently the time comes directly from the GPS node.
The board also has a connector for 4 buttons. Only one button is currently used to cycle between pages on the screen, but it could easily be expanded to create a proper multi-level menu using all four buttons.
LCD example.jpg
20171025_140751.jpg
-Angas
goose360

N003_2.jpg
N003 - Relay Node
This node provides the control aspect of the project. In this case, they have been designed to be connected to the headlights and wipers.
Using ambient light and rain sensor data from Node 4, this node can work out when to turn the headlights/wipers on and off automatically. It could easily be modified to use other data to control anything else in the car.
It should have two relays mounted on top like the 3D render below, but I got the footprint upside down  :oops:  I was able to mount them on the bottom side and it still works.
N003 3.png
-Angas
Zuffen

They look really interesting.

I'll bet you were less than happy when you realised your error.

Looks like you're progressing well.
goose360

Thanks!
Yeah, the mistake was annoying, but thankfully it still operates so I can demonstrate it. It is an easy fix but too expensive for a uni project.
Being my first hardware design project, I'm surprised there weren't more issues  :lol:

-Angas
Zuffen

Could you mount the relays on their side with short legs to act as jumpers.

That way it would may still fit in the box.