Mat's '88 Mighty Boy.

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
86BOY

Haha there is always a next time! After the cheap respray on my current MB, I wanted to basically go all out on this body with with interior, exterior and the whole underside. I'm not even going to want to take it anywhere when its done! :lol: 
Boosted F8B Pocket Rocket.
86BOY

This build has turned a bit dramatic after having to deal with the most common rust spot, which happens to a lot of Might Boys out there. After wire brushing under the dash/heater box area, I found some rust holes right at the very top seam of the firewall. This then spreads out to the top engine mount and then around the panel where the VIN is stamped. I started with removing the scuttle panel and then the piece where the body VIN is.
IMG_0062.JPG
29315227_1948698555172578_8999712826096353280_n.jpg
I have decided that I'll fab up a new top mount, so I took some measurements as to where the bolt holes are and then cut the front section off to see how bad it was in there :-o.
IMG_0006.JPG
The whole bottom section behind the mount was rotten. I completely removed the mount and cleaned up the area to see what I was dealing with.
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
With the area cleaned, I etched the area for now until I start cutting the rust out. For how tidy this body is, I wasn't expecting to go this far. If I didn't see the rust make its way into the cabin, it would then show itself eventually after a nice paint job.

Brayden

Wow, I admire your dedication. I can't deal with rust!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
86BOY

I absolutely hate rust haha! I have done a few repairs on other car body/panels so this one will be fun  :wink:
Brayden

I will never buy a car that has lived within 100 km of a coastline. :lol:
86BOY

Haha its funny how I bought this down the road from me and I'm about 2km from the beach  :snigger:. This MB originally came from Mount Isa, which is a fair way inland and shows how neat this 30 year old car is when far from sea salt. Long way to travel to Bundy that's for sure!
86BOY

Now that the Easter long weekend has begun, I thought I'd start today off smashing out the rusty section. I am 100% satisfied with this repair and is my best yet. The overlapped section meeting up with the firewall was coated in a Weld-Proof Primer for the plug welds, hence the copper coating.
I'll let the pics do the talking here...
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
A bit of seam sealer will tidy up the inside welds nicely.
86BOY

Fabricated the new top engine steady/mount and removed the weather cover for the heater box inlet to clean up that area.
Started with a paper template and turned it into metal.
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
Brayden

This might be a stupid question, but are you going to replace the bulkhead?
86BOY

Not stupid at all Brayden, yes the plan so far is to fabricate a new top Bulkhead section and include the VIN from the factory piece. I did have plans to just clean up the standard piece but there is a bit of work to tidy it up in prep for welding back in. If my plans don't exactly work out then I'll go to the extent to tidy up the factory Bulkhead as the bolt holes for the engine mount line up in the factory position.
gremlin

Good work dude, very neat!
86BOY

Thanks Gremlin.  :thumbup1:

Finally came up with a cover for the Heater Box air inlet. 
IMG_0204.JPG
While I have been working on the front end, I welded up the little holes on both sides of the inner wheel arches/strut towers and deleted the wiper washer bottle holder to make it flush with the rest of the inner panel. I'll end up making and relocating a new washer bottle later on.
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
I'll be removing the radiator overflow bottle mount as i'll have one similar to a Sierra setup beside the rad.
I'm tossing up whether to put the battery in the tray as I would like to go for a wire tucked/clean engine bay. The area under the battery will need some work as it leaked at some point and has started rusting away, which is another reason to not worry about making another battery mount there. 

The hammer and dolly has been getting some use at the front end also, straightening a few things up from a couple of previous love taps.

I have been using a single pack Etch Primer just to cover the bare metal for now until I get the front end soda blasted, which a 2 Pack Epoxy Primer will then be used.
JB

Love it!
[img]http://www.tamon.org/gallery/d/14529-2/tamon-avatar.jpg[/img]
86BOY

Cheers JB :thumbup2:

Original battery location is now rust-free. I had this thought in my head telling me to mini tub the front end, but they are for drift cars and bagged suspension. The amount of work that would go into that is a bit much for looks (even though they actually look amazing in a clean bay :wink:).

Going by the few lines I drew, they were ideas as to where I would cut to make a whole new wheel arch, but decided to leave as much as I could and fill in the already massive hole I had originally cut.
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
Brayden

So clean. Also makes me thankful I don't have to deal with rust. :lol: