Joe/Tom's Mighty Boy

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
Jeo

Rules are pretty simple. Drive around the flags in the prescribed course. Every flag you hit is +5 seconds. Getting the course wrong is slowest time +5 seconds.

There's about 100 official courses in the CAMS handbook, but many clubs make up their own. Most clubs will set up a number of courses over the day and let you have a couple of goes at each. Your fastest time on each counts, ignore the rest. Once you start getting serious they add more courses and you only get one go at each. Nationals for example is 12 courses, one attempt each (aka, really don't get the course wrong or your day is done).

Here's an example of what a day might look like.

Classes are then defined by wheelbase/modification.
Class A/B/C/D are two wheel drive vehicles, in "roadworthy" condition, broken up by wheelbase. Modifications are pretty open, provided it's still a "road car". So tube frames are a no go and the interior from the B pillar forward has to be mostly there, but engine and suspension mods are basically open slather. Oh, and no independent breaking. So you can't have say two brake pedals, which each only work on one side of the car.
Class E is the same restrictions but for all wheel drive.
F and G are then everything else. F = FWD, R = RWD. This is basically the domain of purpose built "motorkhana specials".

Where? All over the place. The events in Canberra are run by the MG Club at the Sutton Road Driver Training Centre out past the airport, but there's clubs all over the county.
Jeo

Long time no update...

The Mighty Boy hasn't moved for almost a year :( I took it out the the club Sunday at Summernats last year and the leaking water pump got significantly worse. I was then lazy and didn't fix it before the next motorkhana so decided to enter the stock CE Mirage daily at the last minute. Fast forward three months and another khana rolls around, went to fix it the weekend before and it wouldn't start. Checked a few things, discovered no spark, gave up and entered the Mirage again. Since then my wife and I had our first baby - a little girl born in October - and decided that was a good time to renovate our kitchen; so not a lot happened on the car front. During the renovations however Dad offered to move the MB to his place to free up some room in my garage.

So finally yesterday we rolled the MB out of my parents' backyard, rearranged the garage to make room, and started working on it. The majority of the wiring was done very late one evening the night before it's first event and describing it as dodgy would be a compliment, so I was pretty sure this was where the 'no spark' problem came from. I ended up stripping back the entire loom, redoing all of the connections, hooking up a few relays (like I really should have done the first time), and just generally tidying the whole rats nest. Actually thought about cable routing - was amazing.

End result was that it now starts and runs again! Still have to fix the water pump, replace the radiator and fan, and fit a remote oil filter, but I thought running would be a good first step. Current plan is to get it ready for engineering over the next few weeks, get the G10 engineered, then get it on historic rego before the end of May. I've recently spoken with the club scrutineer and made sure we'll tick all of his boxes, but admittedly I haven't spoken to the engineer I originally started this conversation with in about 18 months. Really need to do that and hopefully nothing's changed on that front.

Also massive thank you to I assume Brayden for the TMB wiring diagram. Many lives saved there.
Jeo

Spent a few hours on it again today. Now have Pedders shocks and springs from an SA Swift in the front - swapped on the MB strut tops and got them installed, but still need to hook up the brake lines. Also finished cleaning up the engine bay loom and replaced the passenger side indicator repeater.

All told it was way to hot to be out in the shed but we're inching closer to rego so I'll take that as a win.
Jeo

Great success. Spoken with the engineer and so far all looks well.

Also pent a pretty lazy couple of hours playing with the car again today. And by that I mean I mostly ate bbq and looked at the car, but some progress was made. Disconnected everything from the engine that would stop it coming out, measured/mocked up and figured out the modifications needed to the EG Civic radiator (and will take it to get welded tomorrow), and made one end of each of the two oil lines for the remote oil filter. So while not a lot was achieved, progress was made.
Jeo

Some progress but ultimately delays. Radiator has been welded and looks like it will fit. Engine was removed to fit new water pump and timing belt. Water pump and timing belt that were bought during the week don't fit....

My G10 engine came out of a '93 Swift, so SF310. The water pump I bought says SA310/SF310 in the title, and upon re-reading the listing today says "SA310/SF310 83-89" in the detailed description. 83-89 is not SA/SF; that's just SA. Have asked for the correct part to be sent or a refund. Will report back.

Timing belt is the right width and length, but the teeth are the wrong size. I bought it from sparesbox.com.au, which lists two different part numbers to suit G10A engine. Both of which apparently work for an 83 or a 93, so I'm guessing one of those is wrong. Have asked them to confirm but their site also has a really detailed refund policy which we're definitely still within, so shouldn't have any drama there.

Downside to all of this is that I'm now definitely not going to have the MB back together in time for the next motorkhana on the 25th as I'm away next weekend. Soooo the daily '96 Mirage it is...
Jeo

Well that's just plain wrong...
27990192_10156218335788628_579471756_o.png
Brayden

Sounds like you're discovering the difference between a tin top and alloy top G10A. Ahh the fun of dealing with spare parts suppliers who have probably never even seen the car they're selling parts for.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
peterg

I have a G10a in my mighty boy.  It was out of a 93 Swift as well. I just replaced my pump a couple of months ago and got it from Suziworld. Ph. 03 9438 3883. It was a Japanese pump too. The guy new which pump I needed. Maybe he could help you the timing belt as well.