Now the MB Build thread

Browse through a range of Suzuki projects (NO tech questions here!)
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:Not if you drive in a straight line on a road with no bumps!
I don't think you will find one of those anywhere in this country dude!

As for the rims & tyres off the sprinter - was it FWD or RWD? What's the size & offset of the rims man?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
nelpd96

They are of my race car which is a 1983 RWD sprinter with a 4AGTE in it. They were a set that I had on it before I put the Superlites on. They are 14x6 with a +15 offset. They should be ok with a smaller tyre. The ones that are on there now are 195/60/14 if I run a 175/60/14 or even a 165/60/14 there will be a heap more clearance. I was going to flare the guards anyway so if I do it based on these rims and tyres I will know that I have heaps on room.

Here are some photos of the Sprinter.

nelpd96

Just a bit of a development with the MB and I didn't want to start a new thread. I picked up a 1993 GA Swift yesterday rom the auctions complete for $150. The thing is very clean and only has 135,000km on the clock. Looking forward to putting the big block in the MB but it might take a little while. I will try and take detailed photos as I go with the conversion so that there is a bit of a guide for those that want to do the same.

Regards
Paul
nelpd96

OK so this is what a $150 swift from the auctions looks like. It is the G10A with 5 speed, power steering and Air con. This thing is pretty smick. It has 134,000km on the clock and the engine is really clean. I have taken it for a strap and it goes pretty well so the MB should get along ok. There is already a turbo and intercooler in the shed. Plus I have pleny of injectors. I will drop the Adaptronic of the Sprinter as it is only $100 for a new loom and I am never going to drive both at once. Will be interesting to see what it can do.

Cheers
Paul
Breyten

I have one request please.

Pics of everything!

Damn good deal to get the whole thing for $150.
1987 Suzuki Mighty Boy - F5A, stocker.
Work fleet, or Wife's Jeep Rubicon.
nelpd96

Ok I have just found some time to start the build thread properly for this thing. Basically the steps will be documented as I go and as many photos as I can. I am probably going to be changin alot more than the average punter because I have a complete car with bigger brakes etc. In the next day or two I will have the engine out of the MB and will compare front suspension to work out what combination of stuff will be needed to get it all to fit up. needless to say I will be using the bigger brakes etc.

Enjoy :D
Mighty Boy engine bay

Swift engine bay

Mightboy Strut and drive shaft (Passenger side)
nelpd96

Ok, so after pulling out the struts I have decided that the more Swift stuff that I can fit up the better as there is a great range of brake packages, shocks and springs. I have the later model swift so the suspension is not going to bolt straight up. The lower ball joint is the same and the taper on the tie rod end is the same as well. The strut top spacing is obviously different and the diameter of the spring is much larger and seems to come in slight contact with the strut tower which I am going to have to do something about. The other option that I have is to change over to the MB spring but it is not going to be ideal. Better still if I could get a slight smaller diamter spring at the top.

But anyway I did end up swapping over a strut top today and everything seemed to bolt up but the issue that I have is the that steering arm on the swift hub is longer than the MB one. I think that this is likely to have an impact on the ackerman angle for the steering but I won't know until I have it all bolted up and adjusted. Brakes are a big improvement as the SF swift has vented discs that the SA didn't. It also looks like the drive shafts should be able to be swapped over but I am going to have to pull them out to compare but they appear to be the same cup size. The gearbox on the SF is different in that it take a male spline not a female cup like the MB so I will not be able to use the shafts from the MB complete. I will grab some more photos tomorrow to show what I am talking about.

Cheers
Paul
Dave

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as i was considering a G10 conversion in my Hatch :). Looking good so far man, keep up the good work! :thumbup2:

Cheers
Dave
nelpd96

So I have hit a little bit of a speed bump with the fitting of the front suspension in that the swift springs seem to be fouling the shock tower which I spoke about. I have costed coil overs and things like that but I think that I will be notching the strut tower to give the clearance and room for more negative camber.

I do have one question though with regards to springs I was just wondering if anyone has a photo of a measurement on a SA spring/strut so that I can do a comparison against the ones that I have.

Cheers
Paul
Husky

I do have one question though with regards to springs I was just wondering if anyone has a photo of a measurement on a SA spring/strut so that I can do a comparison against the ones that I have.
What I can say is the King spring KSFS-12(standard height) is 270mm
and the KSFL-12(Lowered) is 265mm
:wink:
Dave

Found that in an old thread. Not sure if thats what you're after?

Cheers
Dave
nelpd96

Ok crisis averted, I have come up with a combination of MB and swift stuff that fits up very nicely. I am using the swift strut and hub complete including brakes. The brake piston diameter on the swift is the same as the MB so I should not need to increase the MC at this stage. With regards to the steering and tie rod I have measured and adjusted and it is fine. As stated the tie rod has the same taper so no need to do anything there it just slots in. I have used the MB Spring with 1 1/2 coils cut from the bottom. This coupled with the preload due to the shorter distance seems to give an acceptable spring rate at this stage. I have fit one strut up and I will take photos of the second one as I put that in so that you can see what I have done. The next step will be to workout what combination of drive shafts I will need to use to get it all to fit but it seems to be coming along ok at this stage.

Cheers
Paul
Husky

Gday nelpd96,
Im eagerly awaiting to see your finished product with the G10a as its something I want to do.
Something I have done is the suspension and I can say 100% not to waste your time with the standard MB springs. When I did the sa strut conversion I used the MB springs and the spring rate is way Off!(too soft 85lb/in) Then When I fitted the Ksfl-12(165lb/in) It was like night and day :) much better handling, less body roll and much better combination with the rear leafs. Way less dive on heavy braking! Do your self a favour.
I,m very happy with my ride height and handling. Took abit of trial and error.
Check out my gallery and do a search on exactly what I did for more info.
Just trying to save you wasting your time and money, Were all here to help :wink:
nelpd96

Thanks for the info, not money involved at the moment only a little bit of time. The problem is that I am running SF struts not SA which have a much larger spring. The main thing is that I have them fitted and clearing everything so that I can mount the engine. Here are the photos from the last couple of days.

nelpd96

Next step is going to be setting up the drive shafts and swapping over the rear brakes. It should be a straight swap due to them running the same bearing on the rear. Once I am happy with that I will be fitting up the engine. I have though about the conversions that I have seen using the MB engine mounts and I am not happ with doing it that was because the mount seem to be pretty weak and are not going to be able to take the load.

My intent is to use the Swift mounts which go on the chassis rails. I will add some bracing for it all but in the end it should be a far better solution.

As for springs, to be honest I am probably just going to go coilovers in the long run but for the time being this will be fine. Thanks for all the interest.

Cheers
Paul