Long Drive

Chat about anything and everything.
Reidy13

So I wanted to drive my MB from Ingham (north of Townsville) to Mittagong (outside Sydney) and it is about a 2300km drive. Dad says it wouldn't make it because MB are only for driving here and there - but what is the difference driving 45mins into town, around town and then 45mins back home? That's like a 1.75hr drive around anyway.
Please help because I really want to drive it and if there's anyone who has done long distance (like +1500km) before your opinion would help to convince Dad.

Do you think a MB would make the Distance?
pegusas1969

hi,
when i had my first mighty boy i drove it from Darwin (nt) to port douglas (qld) a trip of just under 3000 kilometres.
it took me and a mate two and a halve days. that was in 1988. if your car is in good condition and you dont push it hard i think you should not have any troubles. good luck
regards
darryl
If near enough was good life would be boring.
Ya Hya Chouhada
Brayden

I can see why your dad would have concerns. Driving a standard F5A MightyBoy 2300km at highway speeds is similar to driving a V8 supercar in the Bathurst 1000. In both cases you're basically flogging the motor at 100% for a long period of time. If your car is maintained well (like a race car needs to be) then you shouldn't have any problems. If on the other hand your motor has high kms and old hoses, belts etc then you'll probably have a pretty bad time!

Personally I wouldn't attempt a trip of that distance with an F5A because it would be miserably slow and also stressful because you can't maintain highway speeds. I drove from Canberra to Sydney once when I first got my ute, and doing 60kph up hills with trucks barreling past is not much fun at all. With an F8B (or better) it is a completely different story. I've done many long trips since my F8B swap (and then turbo) and it is much more comfortable to have power when you need it.

All that said, I know that Tez has driven from Melbourne to Kiama for a cruise (roughly 1800km round trip) with an F5A and he made it with only a few hiccups - although his ute is pretty immaculate. So it can be done.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.