Suzuki hatch auto

Chat about anything and everything.
Dinger

Hi guys I've been a reader of some of your discussions for quite a while and have found some of them very helpful. As a proud owner of a mighty boy I've gained some useful tips from them and now I have a question of my own. I have just purchased an 85 Suzuki hatch and am going to transplant motor into mighty boy - the trouble is the hatch is an auto and the mighty boy a manual so some of the questions are -- can I use gearbox from mighty boy or is it better to change mighty boy to auto -- what about cross members ect do they need to be changed any help you can throw my way would be much appreciated cheers
Brayden

First question: What motors are in each vehicle? F8B or F5A?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Dinger

Hi Brayden nice to chat after reading so many of your posts as a visitor --the mighty boy has an f5a and the hatch has an f8b I've put a couple of pics in to give you a look at them both
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Brayden

Okay, so you have two options:

1. F8B motor with F5A manual box. You will need to swap the timing marker, flywheel and starter flange from the F5A motor onto the F8B. The F8B auto carby has a lot of vacuum control gear you remove and blank off. It will cause the engine to run rich on overrun, but that's not a big deal.
The F5A manual box isn't well suited to the F8B motor due to its short final drive, but it will work. You could upgrade to an F8B manual box later without much fuss.

2. F8B motor with F8B auto box. For this swap you'd need to transplant the subframe, full wiring loom, instrument cluster/dashboard, gearbox control unit, pedal box assembly (including kickdown switch), and shifter assembly - which requires a hole to be cut in the firewall. Only worth doing this swap if you really want the slushbox.
Dinger

Cheers thanks for that Brayden I think I'll go for the manual box sounds a bit simpler.
Might have a hunt around for a manual box or put the mighty boy one on and find another later
There a bit harder to find over here as was the hatch - I stumbled across that while looking for a wiper motor!!
I have an idea of turning the back of the hatch into a small trailer for the mighty boy for no other reason than I think it would look cool any way cheers and thanks for pointing me in the right direction I'll let you know how things turn out :)
Brayden

Depending on your budget I know people have had success ordering brand new F8B engines/boxes from China.
Dinger

Would the gearbox of an 86-88 alto fit as well ?? Just gives me somthing else to keep an eye out for - cheers
Brayden

Yep, 86-88 Alto running gear will also work.