question about turbos

Chat about anything and everything.
arklan

how do they not get blocked up with all the crap coming through the exhaust? i would think the turbine blades would get absolutely covered in crap and need a good clean every now and then...
while im at it, how do the cylinders in an engine not get covered in all that crap, do the rings scrape it all off so it can be blown out? whats going on here? :o
Brayden

Piston tops get coated in carbon over time, especially if the engine runs rich or has weak rings. I pulled the head off my ute after 10+ years of abuse and the buildup was pretty bad. There's basically no clearance between the rings and cylinder walls, which is why they stay clean.
The turbine housing also collects carbon deposits, but the centrifugal force of the turbine wheel at 100,000 RPM prevents any buildup on the fins.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Psi_Wagon

my question is how bad/how much crap is coming out your exhaust to make you think of this? lol.  if your really wanting to clean the inside of your motor, use a small spray bottle and spray some atomised water down the carb in small bursts, best way to clean off carbon deposits.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=180305
arklan

i was just curious, i saw one of those "jacks" that lift your car and is a balloon type job that runs off the exhaust, that made me think of it
MightyTOFU

Hey Brayden, with your F8B running EFI and turbo how many ponies and newton meters of fun is it pushing? What is the top comfortable speeds you can reach say when you're highway driving for like 2 or so hours?
F8B top speed... depends on the tailwind...
Brayden

No idea how much power/torque - it hasn't been run on a dyno in shootout mode.
Sits on 110+ for hours no problem. Also happy belting around a track.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.