(NSW) South Coast Cruise - 15/16 Sept 2012

Where and when you can find a show or cruise happening.
RetroHatch

MIGH7Y BOY wrote:
RetroHatch wrote:
MIGH7Y BOY wrote:We'll be there!! :) this will be our first cruise in the mb...only owned it a few months.
We're heading from sydney so we're keen to catch up with people and cruise down together if anyone else is heading from this way? can't wait guys :)

Chad and I are heading down fri arvo, we both finish work around 2'ish. So if we can pick up some Sydney MB and cruise down that will be sweet :thumbup1: :thumbup1:
Sounds awesome, I'll get in touch and organise the details closer to the date :)

:thumbup1: :thumbup1:
Tailgating my Hatch doesnt increase the horsepower of the F5A
Brayden

Just booked my cabin for Friday/Saturday nights. 8)
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Tez

Hmmmm.
Took the car into the local mechanic today to get the oil leak found and fixed.

:( F A I L . :x

Rang at 3:00pm - They had found the rocker cover gasket leaking, so had ordered a new "..Rubber one, because they're much better than the older cork ones..." was told the car "...had been road-tested..." and was ready to go. - $14 for the gasket and about 45 minutes for the whole job.
Sweet.
Nicked out of work at 3:45 to collect car from mechanics - literally 500m from work... Paid the money and drove it back to work; backed it into a parking spot and looked out the front - WTF? :-o
Oil Slick
Oil Slick
Popped the bonnet - COPIOUS amounts of oil in the two rebates in the intake manifold, and all down the back of the block and dripping on the ground where it was parked. :x

Phone call to the mechanics and the 'boy is back, and spending the night. The mechanic popped the rocker cover off and the CORK gasket was not seated along the mating face for most of the rear of the rocker cover... :x Another new gasket ordered and hopefully they'll get it right with the second attempt. (Confidence in this mob now all together shattered)

Road test my arse! :x

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Tez
So the adventure continues...
Brayden

I gave up on using cork gaskets and seal the rocker cover & sump on with high-temp instant gasket (the copper one). Works a treat!
Tez

Oil Leak - Revisited.

Well, the mechanics called me on Thursday about lunchtime to collect the 'boy... Went to great pains to explain that they had fit a CORK gasket (Mechanic on the phone - not the reception-desk lady). I was cool with that - and they HAD road tested it, and it was ready to go. So I got one of the guys from work to run me up there, and follow me home, then give me a lift back to work, because I had the wife's car in there on the Thursday for it's 30k service... That's a whole other story... Back to the boy. - So I got it home in the pouring rain and shoved it under the carport and got the lift back to work, then collected the wife's car and drove that home on the Thursday evening.

Because the wife's car is usually last in and first out, and she's interstate just at the moment, it was easiest just to take her car to work yesterday (Friday), so...

First chance I got to look at the boy was this morning.

Engine has been steam-cleaned. - Thank you - no oil sludge anywhere... And the oil level was about two millimeters above the "full" dimple on the dipstick, so they'd topped up the oil too... Ok then.

So off for a short drive to make sure all is well. 120k's later, I got home and not leaked a drop. All is forgiven - Confidence restored. In future I'll just not believe a word that comes out of front-desk-bimbo's mouth.

So... Excuses for NOT coming are getting less & less...
Tez
RetroHatch

Tez wrote:Oil Leak - Revisited.

Well, the mechanics called me on Thursday about lunchtime to collect the 'boy... Went to great pains to explain that they had fit a CORK gasket (Mechanic on the phone - not the reception-desk lady). I was cool with that - and they HAD road tested it, and it was ready to go. So I got one of the guys from work to run me up there, and follow me home, then give me a lift back to work, because I had the wife's car in there on the Thursday for it's 30k service... That's a whole other story... Back to the boy. - So I got it home in the pouring rain and shoved it under the carport and got the lift back to work, then collected the wife's car and drove that home on the Thursday evening.

Because the wife's car is usually last in and first out, and she's interstate just at the moment, it was easiest just to take her car to work yesterday (Friday), so...

First chance I got to look at the boy was this morning.

Engine has been steam-cleaned. - Thank you - no oil sludge anywhere... And the oil level was about two millimeters above the "full" dimple on the dipstick, so they'd topped up the oil too... Ok then.

So off for a short drive to make sure all is well. 120k's later, I got home and not leaked a drop. All is forgiven - Confidence restored. In future I'll just not believe a word that comes out of front-desk-bimbo's mouth.

So... Excuses for NOT coming are getting less & less...

Good to see they finally got it sorted for you. :thumbup1:

Now time to start planing for the trip!! :thumbup2:
Tailgating my Hatch doesnt increase the horsepower of the F5A
killermule

Tempted to come up for a drive from adelaide to get to this. Would love to check out the itty bitty bits that other people have done that I would never dream of. Got all the ignition stuff here to replace and provided that fixes my problem got a couple weird sounds to get fixed. If it all goes smoothly I should be able to make it!

Provided the car makes it there that is...
Brayden

Adelaide is a long way! Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm but there's always the annual Albury cruise which is a little bit closer for you! ;)
killermule

Meh, its only like 1300kms. Each way. Prob a bit early though considering I havent done more than 300kms in one go yet. Gotta make sure I got the time for a 2 day drive both ways aswell. Might be pushing it but it aint gonna stop me trying :)
Tez

Sorry if this sounds like control-freak-Tez here... But....

4 weeks out....

Someone got a bit of an itinerary together?
Is it gonna work something like the Albury gatherings? -

Friday - arrive, get sorted, then dinner
Saturday - go Cruisin' !! :D Then another dinner...
Sunday - p.o. home - wherever that might be...?

People coming might like to know what to expect (In broad terms) (I know I would)...
Tez
Brayden

The extent of the itinerary is in the first post, with a map of the Sat cruise route.
KEVIN

Sorry Guys, Gav & I can't make it. Too many work & family commitments :cry: Hope you have a great time.
MYDBOY Co-Pilot
Tez

Booked.

:D

See ya late Friday evening...
Tez
Brayden

First post updated with a bit more detail.

Tez if you want to head up Thursday and stay at my place for the Friday trip to the coast then let me know. Ditto if you want a place to stop over on your way home. ;)
Tez

Thanks for the offer Brayden, but I have to work Thursday, so wouldn't be able to leave until about 6:00pm - arrive in Canberra about 3:00am... ? - I don't think so...

So I'll leave at sparrows fart on Friday and roll into Kiama some time around 5:00 - 6:00pm I'm thinking...

See ya there. :thumbup2:
Tez