Engines

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
SDN

Let me start by saying I know very little about engine transplanting, with that said I would like to ask the following question.

In the ongoing battle to extract as much speed out of a mighty boy as possible people talk about turbos and the big 800 engines or even a swift gti engine transplant if it could be squeezed in which from what I've read would be very difficult space wise.

Has anyone given any thought to transplanting a motorcycle engine into a mighty boy??????

Now I realise there are issues with the different drive systems and gearboxes and it would also be a pretty expensive exercise but back in my youth people were transplanting all sorts of engines into all sorts of cars. 351 V8's into Cortinas, 302 V8's into bluebirds it was all the rage. Now if you could transplant a Hayabusa engine which puts out around 150 hp in standard form into a mighty boy you've got yourself a very potent weapon.

Anyway as I said I know very little about transplants and mechanicals in general but since I've been bitten by the mighty boy bug I have given some thought to doing something a bit different once I get my hands on one.

Any response will be appreciated.

Flaming the n00b will not be accepted however telling me that it wont work for whatever reason is acceptable. Don't however tell me that it is so totally outrageous that it might actually work because it will only encourage me to look into it further. :twisted:
Josh

Forget the GTi engine - It won't fit.

Forget motorcycle engines - They produce too little torque for regular driving conditions and you'd be up for a fortune trying to design, manufacture and have an engineer pass the drivetrain required.

There are more kW/$ on offer in fitting a F6A/K6A/K10A or Charade Turbo.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
Colin

he he he :lol: :lol:
MORE BEER! :beer:
SDN

Thanks for that Josh......I sort of realised there would be a heap of trouble getting the drivetrain sorted but I didnt think there would be that much of a torque problem. I mean these are 200+ kg bikes with 150hp on tap......Oh well never mind.

What about a rotary engine...... :lol: or maybe not.

How close a fit is the GTi engine.......if you moved some stuff out of the engine bay and into the rear tray inside a custom built box of some description??????????

Hey cant blame a guy for trying right :wink:
Brayden

The GTi engine and box is much to wide to fit between the strut towers, it is a physical imposibility.

However a Suzuki Hayabusa engine would be something else! Who needs bucketloads of torque with a 15000rpm on tap? :D
I'd like to see that!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
SDN

Brayden wrote:The GTi engine and box is much to wide to fit between the strut towers, it is a physical imposibility.

However a Suzuki Hayabusa engine would be something else! Who needs bucketloads of torque with a 15000rpm on tap? :D
I'd like to see that!
Hmmmm.......that sounds like a dare to me :twisted: I might have to go and talk to a mechanical engineer about the possibilities!!!!

Of course I still have to get my hands on a mighty boy......oh yeah and steal my brother in laws Hayabusa :D :wink:
gazuga

steal a 'busa? just go to the nearest bike wreckers and wipe the blood off one..

i think its a pretty safe bet your not the only one to have thought of that transplant, my mate got nailed on his cbr1000 a while ago and we thought about this as it was supposedly going to be written off(didnt).
tray mount was the best idea we came up with, couple of solenoids either side of the shift peg and steering wheel mounted buttons controlling them for changes. although that power in rear drive with all the weight in the back scared us a bit. sooo the idea was formed to bash out a tunnel and have a chain linkage to a front axle for 4wd, was going to be scary expensive tho :-o
fritz

Yer all :crazy:

:D
Brayden

Hahaha, I won't even go into the ideas I have for the next cheap ute I come across. :D
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
xrs

SDN wrote:Thanks for that Josh......I sort of realised there would be a heap of trouble getting the drivetrain sorted but I didnt think there would be that much of a torque problem. I mean these are 200+ kg bikes with 150hp on tap......Oh well never mind.

What about a rotary engine...... :lol: or maybe not.

How close a fit is the GTi engine.......if you moved some stuff out of the engine bay and into the rear tray inside a custom built box of some description??????????

Hey cant blame a guy for trying right :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I FEEL THE NEED FOR A 13B-T POWERED MOY! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Their has to be a way :roll:
Colin

i have heard it has been done 12a rotary and made to rwd it wasnt registed but it did do hellish donuts :lol:
MORE BEER! :beer: