Coin's official progress thread!

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
CoinSlot

Hello!

This is THE thread to watch the progress of my audio install. I'll post pics as I go etc. This won't all happen over night either (poor uni student) but there should be steady weekly progress to update you with.

Deadening

Next step: Line as much of the cabin as possible with sheet lead :D
Josh

CoinSlot wrote:Next step: Line as much of the cabin as possible with sheet lead :D
Is that to shield the rest of the world from the Gamma-rays you're going to be generating with the nuclear power supply for the excessive LFE you've got specced to go in there? :D :wink:
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
CoinSlot

Yes, but also to kill as much roadnoise as possible. I will go lead shopping on the weekend and see what's around.

:)
eDave

I'm interested what difference this makes. :) My MB is so noisy!
CoinSlot

In regards to panel resonance, night and day! I'm especially impressed with the rear wall. It went from being rather tinny (less so then large flat surfaces like doors) to an absolute solid bitch. :twisted:

The doors will never be right. The locking mechanism, including the latch which will be near impossible to tighten/deaden etc, still rattles a wee bit. The rear quarter panels are also night and day. The front quarters are yet to be done, but will show similar results i.e fantastic.

I'm expecting MASSIVE improvements in regards to the roof. It's the biggest, uncreased, unsupported piece of metal on the car which means huge amounts of resonance! For those playing along at home, just give the roof a tap with your knuckle :D

Final bit is the tailgate. It all looks welded up to me :( Will have to find a way to get inside :wink: Which will mean resonance taken care of. Hooray.

Then lead on the floor, firewall, doors, rear wall and arches. Hopefully that will quieten down the ol' boy a little :P
eDave

This is primarily for a sound system, yeah?

What about just driving around?
Mommers

yeah something I definatly want to do to the doors of my ute. Let us know the final result of SDing the car.. :-o

My car shakes already just with the speakers so ill definatly need to do somthing when the sub is installed soon.
'86 Suzuki MightyBoy F5A

www.caraudioaustralia.com
Josh

eDave wrote:This is primarily for a sound system, yeah?

What about just driving around?
I would have engaged in this sort of practice to pad the 'just driving around' element right down so that I can enjoy the system... :wink:

I can't imagine that the lining on the insides of the body structures is going to do anything for the interior acoustics short of shutting outside noise and vibration out and padding down low-frequency resonance in the panels being generated by the system. I'm sure mid-hi frequency reflections will be just as harsh as usual - a friend and I gave his AU the same treatment some years ago with the results I've described above.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
Gladier

with the rear panels try using a product such as space invaders
Josh

The pressure pack can or caulking gun foam stuff?
CoinSlot

I will be putting in some fancy expensive gear, yes. But the idea is to make the overall driving experience more comforatable. I mean a BMW would not be a BMW if it was rattly as all fark. So I believe that sound deadening is something everyone should think about doing. It's not overly expensive (I've so far used 7/9 sheets of a bulk pack that cost $300) and the results are quite beneficial.

For the average driver not wanting to go over board I would recommend going halves with someone for a bulk pack, laying it down on the major flat areas (doors, 1/4 panels, roof if you can) then doing a layer of lead on the floor and the wheel wells to help reduce road noise. 1/2 a pack should be sufficient.
I can't imagine that the lining on the insides of the body structures is going to do anything for the interior acoustics short of shutting outside noise and vibration out and padding down low-frequency resonance in the panels being generated by the system
Exactly right. This is about keeping road noise out, but also keeping system noise in (keep the popo's happy). Interior acoustics will be taken care of as well though. No flashy, reflective fibreglass here. I will be looking towards the home theater sector for suitable materials to use to look good, but also absorb as much acoustic energy as possible. Most reflective thing will be the glass... Researching atm if there is anyway to reduce reflections of glass. Of course, this side of things is for the audio system and not needed when just wanting to quieten the car some.

CoinSlot

In regards to Space Invader... :|

It's not the way you go about doing this kind of thing properly. It does fill the gap and make it solid, but it's also fills the gap (get what I mean?). It will just transfer the energy and if there's a flexy panel nearby... hello resonance!

eDave

My car is pretty bare on the inside. When on the highway it's so damn noisy, but I admit that most of that is from the lack of seal between the flimsy windows and the door.

How much does this insulation stuff weigh?
Gladier

fallafoam/space invaders weighs next to nothing. a two 300gm cans do approx 500x1800x40 (mm) ... it goes a really long way.

if your talking about the proper sound deadening lead stuff it weighs a ton check each manufacturor site for details
CoinSlot

http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_ ... treme.html

Have a read. A bulk pack is about 3.3sq metres (if i remember rightly).
It's not that heavy, it certainly doesn't weigh a tonne and it is FAR more effective then foam. End of story.