Roof lining

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
fritz

Now I know I have covered this topic before on another forum, but I started to wonder the other day (after seeing pics of Brayden's car in bits) how Brayden did his roof lining.

I'm pretty sure I know how I'm going to do it but I thought I'd try to find out.

Strange that all this (ute resto) started by doing the roof lining a few months ago, and it still hasn't been done yet & virtually everything else has been toyed with... :?
Brayden

Q) How did I do my roof lining?
A) I haven't! :lol:

Sorta on my list of to-do's, along with fixing the glovebox door, and a bunch of other stuff. As for how I'm going to do it? Well I'm just using balsawood or similar, cutting to size and glueing on the lining, then glue the lining+wood to the roof and refit the rubber trim.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
fritz

Sneaky. I figured that given yer ute was looking so good that it must have been done.. :lol:

No matter, I'll let you know how I go when I do mine in a few weeks
mowog

I used heavy cardboard to replace the roof lining in my old 1938 car, but I think you can get polystyrene sheet about 5mm to do the same and once the lining is glued on it is strong enough. If you get it too thick it might crack when you try to follow the curve of the roof. . It also has some (slight ) insulation properties.
If you use Bear type contact cement the trick is to put a coat on one surface, go over it very carefully to make sure there are no lumps, wait overnight for it to dry thoroughly (do it in the shed you will stink the house out) then put a coat on the other surface, wait 10 or 15 minutes till it goes tacky then put it on, CAUTION you only get one go - it locks on immediately so get it right. Use a roller maybe a rolling pin to roll the vinyl on. I'm not sure about the Bear on polystyrene it might dissolve it. The cardboard you can get from most stationary/paper places in sheets about 1800 X 1200, in various thicknesses. If you are worried about the immediate adhession you could try applying it wet, you can move it around a bit, but you run the risk of it coming loose.
Colin

you can go to a wrecker get a roof lining from a L300 it looks the same
cut it to size and using spray contact on both surfaces glue it up thata how i did mine 8)
MORE BEER! :beer:
fritz

Whoo-hoo
Its done now.
I did it using auto carpet clued to the roof. I was toying up with getting a one piece jobbie & glueing the whole panel up there, but I figured that would take up more room. - & I couldn't afford to lose any at all being about 6"1'...

Despite recommendations to the contrary by some users I have done it in black, and am most happy with it. Really schmick (if I do say so myself).
I'll post some pics of it some time to show you guys what it looks like if yer interested.

Note though. Glueing onto the roof of your mightyboy is a very very messy job & is perhaps not recommended if the interior is in the car.