Electric intake system

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Brayden

Almost a Mini wrote: You should be able to pick them up for a lot less than $400 also - they're waaaay too small for most motors so nobody really wants them. Moke setup was very cheap - $80 for the supercharger
$80 :-o Where?! Gimme!!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ceej

Found this on eBay

~>AMR 300 Off vivio<~

8)
Garry. Nuff sed!
Almost a Mini

Brayden wrote:
Almost a Mini wrote: You should be able to pick them up for a lot less than $400 also - they're waaaay too small for most motors so nobody really wants them. Moke setup was very cheap - $80 for the supercharger
$80 :-o Where?! Gimme!!
Japanese Motorsport in Adelaide. . . try places that generally deal in BIG horsepower cars. . .then the little fiddly kei type bits tend to get overlooked. I think the guys there were a little surprised that anyone would ring up and actually ask for one of these. . .
hatch4play wrote: that looks dodgy as there is shit everywhere
Is that right? Sorry to disappoint you.
Pete in Perth
1970 Citroen ID19B
1992 Suzuki Cappuccino
1966 Morris Mini Deluxe
1970 MkII Cooper S
1975 Mini Moke
1986 Suzuki Alto RS-X
1989 Nissan Pao
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16
Goofy[HSK]

the new jms?? didn't think they'd have them...
the previous jms would have been more likely
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Awaiting: Paint, Windscreen, Compliance, Lottery
'89 Alto Works RS/R - Complied, Registrable, Awaiting Paint, Engine not running
www.hillsidekonnection.com
hatch4play

hey nothing personal, just my opinion!
[url=http://tamon.edave.net/gallery/v/members/hatch4play/]View My Gallery![/url]
Injected F8B Hatch!
Soon To Be Turbo!
Crank

Thanks for the details and the pics mate. Really appreciate it.

I have a few questions though:

1)Would it be possible to run the charger as a drawthrough setup?
2)Turbos use wastegate to control boost. How is it done in superchargers?
3)What's the max boost that can be safely run on the F8B motor with stock engine internals?
4)What's the max boost that can be made by the AMR300?
5)Other than the AMR300 which other supercharger would suit the F8B engine?

I'm fascinated by the idea of going the supercharger way instead of the turbo way as lot less plumbing is involved and also because of the good low end torque a supercharger gives.

Cheers!
Almost a Mini

Crank wrote:Thanks for the details and the pics mate. Really appreciate it.

I have a few questions though:

1)Would it be possible to run the charger as a drawthrough setup?
2)Turbos use wastegate to control boost. How is it done in superchargers?
3)What's the max boost that can be safely run on the F8B motor with stock engine internals?
4)What's the max boost that can be made by the AMR300?
5)Other than the AMR300 which other supercharger would suit the F8B engine?

I'm fascinated by the idea of going the supercharger way instead of the turbo way as lot less plumbing is involved and also because of the good low end torque a supercharger gives.

Cheers!
No problem running this type of compressor as a draw through - a lot of the Mini guys (and I'm sure a lot of other cars) do this. Makes carb tuning much easier.
There isn't any real boost control built in, other than the size of the compressor pulley. The faster you drive the compressor, the more boost you get. Because this set this up is draw through, I've used a blow off valve which is always open at idle or light throttle (bypassing any boost pressure). As soon as you put your foot down and manifold vacuum drops, the BOV closes and the engine sees boost. Much better for fuel economy that way.
Gawd knows how much boost a standard F8B will take - try it and find out!! The setup on my Moke is largely 'experimental' and the engine underneath the supercharger is a dead stock 998cc A-series motor that has done LOTS of k's. I have service receipts for this car from it's last (original) owner and we're pretty sure it's done 460,000km on this motor. Adding the supercharger has been no problem at all. Give it more than 5psi boost (I've tried up to 15 with a smaller compressor pulley) and the clutch slips - that's about the worst that's happened. That said, if you run the thing lean and drive like an idiot, I'm sure it would all go bang pretty quickly. I tend to think with a Suzuki setup, it might be the gearbox that will give up first - they're pretty spindly little things.
AMRs (or any other plastic rotored superchargers) dont like going much over 16psi (this is very 'rule of thumb-ish' and will vary depending on the setup) as the rotors get too hot, melt and stick together.
I'm sure there are plenty of other supercharger types - just a matter of having a look around import wrecking yards and seeing what you can find. . .
Pete in Perth
1970 Citroen ID19B
1992 Suzuki Cappuccino
1966 Morris Mini Deluxe
1970 MkII Cooper S
1975 Mini Moke
1986 Suzuki Alto RS-X
1989 Nissan Pao
mowog

wouldn't know of one in Perth would you?
Almost a Mini

mowog wrote:wouldn't know of one in Perth would you?
You could possibly try Jap Parts WA (www.jappartswa.com.au). I haven't used them for sourcing supercharger bits, but I have bought a lot of oddball Subaru parts from them in the past for a turbo Mini project. Nor real cheap (which is why I ended up getting stuff from over east) but they do have a lot of stuff around.
Worth a try anyway.
Pete in Perth
1970 Citroen ID19B
1992 Suzuki Cappuccino
1966 Morris Mini Deluxe
1970 MkII Cooper S
1975 Mini Moke
1986 Suzuki Alto RS-X
1989 Nissan Pao
Crank

Thanks for the reply mate! I can't go and check for the parts there myself coz i'm in the Indian sub continent. I've got a mate there in Adelaide so would be getting the parts through him.

Cheers.