rebuilding

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Shayne

can anyone give me info on what i need to do to rebuild/recondition a engine. is it worth givin it a go myself or getting a mechanic to do it.. but u cant really trust a mechanic so i dont really know what to do... how hard can it be???
thanks
Josh

*ahem*

Colin? :D
[url=http://www.tamon.org/?page=owners&id=10][img]http://www.tamon.org/forum/images/ute_specs.gif[/img][/url]
Colin

send it to me it will be done right at the right price 8) it's what i do
MORE BEER! :beer:
Shayne

well what sort of price am i looking at to make a 993cc swift motor run like brand new again... and do u do gearboxs?? thanx
Colin

probibly between $1500 and $2000 yes i can do gearboxes cant qoute on them till i inspect them though
Shayne

whoa ok thanks
and how about turbo for them say a charade one??
Colin

thats for a full recondition the turbo set up to pay for it to be fitted will probibly cost more
Shayne

well the swift 993 is out of the car now and has only done 150,000 so i was thinkin i should get it reconditioned b4 i put it in the boy. Do you know of any major problems with them??
mowog

If you are going to run an older car you must learn to do as much mechanics as possible or it will be too expensive to pay for everything. Motors are basically pretty simple,you need a shop manual, and a set of the appropriate metric spanners, don't waste your money on a super dooper full set, you will never use 1/2 of them. Basically the Suzis use 10mm, 12mm and 14 mm will fit most nuts and bolts, you need 6" ringys, open enders and 8" in the larger sizes these have say 10mm one end and 12mm the other. Always buy good quality tools, like Sidchrome, Minimax, Stanley, Dowidat, Crescent, and NEVER lend them out, you won't get them back. Ask about the warranty, Sidchrome for instance offered a lifetime warranty, if you broke it any time they would replace it. Don't know if they still do. Try Cash Convertors and the like, often they have good quality stuff cheap. don't forget swap meets. Used sockets can be a worn but usually only at the end. Grind it down and you get to the good bit.
Also a good quality ratchet. I find 3/8 drive does pretty well everything, but for the motor you need a couple of 1/2 " drive for the larger nuts.
The ks your motor has done I think you could get away with new rings, bearings, oil seals and gaskets, timing belt (essential) and new clutch and pressure plate. Don't bother with rebuilt clutch/pressure plates I have always found them to be crap, the shops just fix what they absolutely have to and you invariably find the springs or something will give up. New stuff is twice the price, but half the problems.
Gearboxes are also basically simple but you need the books, and it is often difficult to tell what is worn and what doesn't need replacing. But if you fix it and it breaks again you have learnt something, so worth doing.
Remember if you pay to have it fixed and it breaks you usually have warranty and I imagine Colin would not dud you deliberately, but other mechanics may be so scrupulous and it can be a problem getting satisfaction.
Shayne

does anyone know where i can get a shop manual for a 993cc 1989 swift manual??? thanks