click, then nothing

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
jason

hey. have resprayed and rebuilt my MB over the last 16 months(slow job, missus didnt like me spending all of my time in the shed) purchased a new battery just before taking off road in jan 03, charged it up a few times and got car back on road in june.

problem is that sometimes it starts no prob, other times a click before turning over, and other times click, and then nothing. a few times by turing the engine over a little by hand the engine would start, but now it doesnt help. car started ok going up the street today but coming back to work in the lunch break it refused to go, just a click.

any suggestions?
Colin

check your terminals are tight and clean and the earth lead on the motor and the power to the starter is tight
MORE BEER! :beer:
pullbackandgo

I had a similar prob with my hatch. Ended up being where the starter motor wire runs into the positive terminal on the battery, it wasn't making contact sometimes which meant it wouldn't do anything, like you said just a click.

You've got the actual clamp that goes over the battery post, it's the wire that goes into the arse of the clamp...
mowog

Get the battery tested first, that solves that problem so you know what is working. If batteries are not used, and just left on charge, they can clag up the cells. don't tell the dealer the battery has been on long charge they will use it as an excuse not to replace under warranty.
jason

thanks. battery was a cheapie so i decided to get a new one. changed terminal leads to the ones that clamp over, not just bolt through, and hooked lead into section that clamps in back of clamp. new battery too. starts at -3 degrees no prob now! thanks.