running like a dog

Suzuki hatchback tech questions and answers.
daronk18

my hatch was running fine and been tuned and in the last few days its just started to run like a dog and when i put my foot in on the clutch and brake at a corner the revs drop really low and it wants to die on me.
Have put new leads plugs air filter. and rotor button points and cap are fine not sure where to check next any help would be great :oops:
stevan_istheman

My cruiser had an almost identical problem...We think the brakes/clutch was stealing vacuum from the carbie and not letting it run on the right mixture...
That problem in the cruiser has fixed itself somehow so i'm not touching it until it starts playing up again.

I dunno if it's a similar set up in the suzi's but theres a stab in the dark from me anyway.
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
daronk18

that sound like it could be right but im not sure how to fix it?? all i have been doin is keeping the revs up or leaving the choke on a little, but i cant do this foreva..
Joel

does it even have vaccum assisted brakes?

-Joel
Brayden

No the Hatch doesn't have vacuum assisted brakes.

Any time I've had a similar problem it has been shit in the float bowl or idle circuit of the carby.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
daronk18

so is the best way to fix this by spraying carby clean down the carby and giving it a good clean out??
Brayden

Carby cleaner does sweet FA mate. :snigger: Best whip the whole thing off and pull apart for a clean out, or buy a rebuild kit and go the whole hog. 8)
Gladier

carby cleaner removes built up carbon deposits ... the bottle says so :roll:

it does however remove oil from parts your about to service - nice and shiny
psychosis7326

carby cleaner will clean out the throat thats about it but if u really just want a quick fix try blowing compresed air thru your fuel and vacume line it blows a lil bit of crap out also unscrew the jet at the front of the carby if your fuel filter is a bit crappy they get blocked and have u checked how good the fuel flow to the carby is?
stevan_istheman

I'm not sure if it works in these little 3 cylinders, but when we've had crap in the idle circuit of the cruiser we just cross the spark plug wires and let it backfire through the carbie... :D
Just gotta make sure once you turn it off, if flames start burning out the top of the carb you gotta hit the starter again so it will suck back down into the engine. :wink:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
jenko_1080

i had the exact same problem in my hatch... in fact i had it twice with 2 different problems.
1) check the idle solenoid, if the engine isn't getting any petrol in idle its going to die
2) rip the carbie apart and clean it out, i used a compressor through some of t he jets... instead of fuel dribbling out it actually squirted, an the car actually worked well
mowog

replace the fuel filters there may be two one at the tank and one under the bonnet.
daronk18

where abouts is this idle solinoid and what does it look like.. i have replaced the fuel filter pulling the carby off tommorow, im better off just putting a carby kit threw it rather than cleaning it yeah..
Brayden

Well you would have to clean it when you put the rebuild kit in, so yes thats the best option.

The idle cut-off solenoid is the only thing on the carby with an electrical wire connected to it. ;)
sobil

a quick fix is to remove your mixture screw fully and put half a can of carby cleaner through it, let it sit for a few minutes. then undo the carby bowl drain and hit it with compressed air. this usually gets it idling allright if the blockage aint too drastic.

Carby cleaner does work for removing all sorts of stuff the trick is to leave it sit for a few minutes. try it on you paintwork.