rocker cover gasket

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
jason

hope someone can offer a suggestion. have an 85 MB and have re-ringed it. have had difficulty with rocker cover gasket sealing as it tends to pull in and leak as the running in oil is so thin. i keep topping it up but i am after a soloution so that when i retension the head i wont have to worry about it leaking after i put it on again. is there a later gasket that holds on better? or should i use a liquid gasket to hold the cork one in place?
mowog

If its a monotorque head gasket you don't retorque it. read the instructions. You can over come the oil leaks by useing Forma Gasket or similar over the metal surfaces (thoroughly wipe them clean so it sticks) and the cork gasket. Also do rocker cover bolts to torque, or firm.
evilgidget

Don't over-tighten the cork gasket though, as it squeezes it out of place, making the leaks worse. Can also warp the rocker cover if it's too tight.
jason

thanx. dont know too much about the head gasket, it came in a vrs kit and had little info. there was mention of 20nm, 40nm and then 60 nm, but it is currently only about 40nm and going well. i have used a loctite red instant gasket but have not been im[pressed by it. i will replace cork gasket, use some instant gasket stuff and give it time to set. then will tension to 4 nm and see how that goes. thanx for your ideas and suggestions.
Brayden

I generally use a gasket sealant to stick the cork gasket to the rocker cover, then fit and tighten it.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
mowog

I think you have misread the instructions. What they mean is you do all the bolts up to 20, then all up to 40, than all up to 60, not do them in between driving.
I think red loctitie is the wrong stuff, that is for the bolts to stop them coming loose.
To do the gasket follow Brayden's suggestion, or as I did with mine use the Forma gasket put a bead along the edge of the head, put the cork gasket in, then a bead along the top of the gasket, then tighten cover to torque recommended. It's not very high as I recall. If it still leaks tighten by hand a smidgen.
Make sure both metal surfaces (head and cover) are very clean and dry, the sealant won't work with oily surfaces.
jason

thanks. the red loctite was an instant gasket, i know the one you mean for the bolts, im not quite that silly :) .
what you said about tighterning to 20, 40 & then 60 sounds familiar, maybe i did do that, cant really remember, was back in may. has taken me this long to clock up 850 km. thanks again for your suggestions.