Gearboxes............

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
Whitty

Team,
Has anyone ever had a problem with fourth gear synchros in their Boy? I have been grinding fourth into a silver sludge in the bottom of my gear box for the last couple of weeks - do they commonly drop a synchro or is it just mine?? It is only a problem with fourth - every other gear is no problems - and only changing from 3rd to 4th - 2nd to 4th seems to go okay most of the time. I rang a local gearbox place and they said it would only cost me around $50 :-o to repair as they have had this before and know what they are doing :roll: I'm thinking that they are having a lend of me - $50 for the bearing on its own I would say. If it is a common problem, and all I have to do is replace a synchro bearing, does the box have to come out??? and does the motor have to come out if the box has to come out??? Or is it more economical to bung in a second hand box?? Thanks in advance for your help........
Brayden

4th gear synchro? Hmm, never had a problem with that - its usually the second gear one that chucks it in.

I think $50 for a synchro is a bargain if it is true! I was quoted about $100 each for new ones when my box was done, so I had them replaced with better condition second hand ones instead. (big mistake)

It is much easier to rebuild the gearbox out of the car, and for the 30 mins it takes to pull the entire engine and box I wouldn't muck around doing it any other way.
Swapping for another second hand box is only a good idea if you know the next one is better than the current one! SuziSport in Sydney do a reco exchange service for about $600 with a 3 month warranty, and that seems pretty good to me for a box with all new bearings and guaranteed good condition synchros.
I'm sure Mark at SuziWorx in QLD could sort something out for you.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Whitty

Thanks Brayden. I will go off to the gearbox shop now and see what they say......he said the $50 was to do the WHOLE repair the other day. Wait and see i suppose.